Hit songwriter on 'shy' Morrissey (Mark Nevin) - Harrogate Advertiser: interview

Interview: Hit songwriter on 'shy' Morrissey - Harrowgate Advertiser
by Graham Chalmers.

Excerpt:

What working with Morrissey was like

A restless but likable soul, Mark landed on his feet quickly, co-writing and playing most of the guitar on the former lead singer of The Smith’s second solo album in 1991.

Mark said: “I’d sent him a cassette tape of some of my songs to his home in Manchester and the next day he sent me a postcard saying “Perfect”. “That went on for a while and eventually I was invited to join him in the studio. “He was an odd character. He was sitting there in his glasses with his quiff looking like a Smiths cover, “We all had to eat vegetarian food. He was very shy and awkward, not a comfortable person to be around. “Before I met him I thought he was whinging in an ironic way on his lyrics but he was just whinging.” The end result of his time with Morrissey and musicians including Mark ‘Bedders’ Bedford of Madness was the Kill Uncle album. Unfairly maligned at the time by critics, though mostly for the production by Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley, Morrissey himself was happy enough with the results of Mark’s efforts to invite him on tour. And it was Mark who suggested recruiting legendary ex-David Bowie guitarist Mick Ronson to produce his next album. Your Arsenal, which contains I Know It’s Gonna Happen Someday, another Morrissey/Nevin co-write, which was later covered by David Bowie himself, went onto to be huge success. By the time of the tour, however, Morrissey was beginning to gravitate towards new musical partners in rockabilly musicians Alain Whyte and Boz Boorer, and Mark was onto his next project. Mark said: “I like writing lyrics, which is obviously what Morrissey does. It was great to have worked with him but I wasn’t the right person to stay on for the long haul. “If you’re in Morrissey’s band you basically give up the rest of your life. “I got a call from his office saying he’s got all the dates ready and wants you to come along. “I said “when does it start?” The voice on the phone said “tomorrow!”

42297_Early_1990s_Mark_Nevin_with_Morrissey_and_Kirsty_MacColl..jpg

In the light of a tour & EP - Mark comments on working with Morrissey circa Kill Uncle.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beg to differ that Nevin suposed to be in the band on tour.

Everything started with the 'sing your life ' clip, where Mark plus 3 rock-a-billy musicians [Alain, Spencer plus Gary day] were in [as Chrissie Hynde]...Morrissey was hanging around Camden at that period , and must have seen 3 of the Lads play...as written going on tour 'tomorrow' had a long month of hard work, and I think that's the moment Nevin choose another path, Boz Boorer was asked, and the Lads started to play Morrissey's work till that moment. I don't believe Nevin had no idea, and certainly wasn't they key person who after the Kill Uncle Tour ,advised or worked with Mick Ronson...or even was around.

Nevin made some good singles/songs in a difficult period, when Morrissey didn't have a real band, that changed very very fast after, the sing your life' clip

Interview: Hit songwriter on 'shy' Morrissey - Harrowgate Advertiser
by Graham Chalmers.

Excerpt:

“I got a call from his office saying he’s got all the dates ready and wants you to come along. “I said “when does it start?” The voice on the phone said “tomorrow!”
Expecting someone to drop everything and go on tour with one day's notice seems very cold and callous to me, and selfish. If you're able to organise a world tour with dates, flights, venues, buses, hotels, etc, then you're also able to know what the dates are way in advance. There isn't an excuse. I'd say you would have to give up your life to be in Moz's band. I don't know how the guys do it.

Aside: Some fans seem to have given up their lives too in their constant attendance at the front row of every Moz concert. It's not a balanced way to live. I'm still wrecked after the Tuesday night concert/all night ale session. I couldn't face that again a couple of days later. I wouldn't want to either.

Everything started with the 'sing your life ' clip, where Mark plus 3 rock-a-billy musicians [Alain, Spencer plus Gary day] were in [as Chrissie Hynde]...Morrissey was hanging around Camden at that period , and must have seen 3 of the Lads play...as written going on tour 'tomorrow' had a long month of hard work, and I think that's the moment Nevin choose another path, Boz Boorer was asked, and the Lads started to play Morrissey's work till that moment. I don't believe Nevin had no idea, and certainly wasn't they key person who after the Kill Uncle Tour ,advised or worked with Mick Ronson...or even was around.

Nevin made some good singles/songs in a difficult period, when Morrissey didn't have a real band, that changed very very fast after, the sing your life' clip
Hey celibate, usually your posts are finely written, but I gotta admit that is one pile of steaming puke you just discharged. Or am I suffering a brain hemorrhage?

I'm fairly sure I've seen in other interviews, that the original touring band was supposed to be Nevin, Whyte, Day, Cobrin. But Morrissey asked Mark so late in the day he'd already commited another (much more minor) tour, and refused to leave it so Boz was bought in as a replacement. Both Mark and Alain Whyte have stated this in interviews, so I don't know why they'd lie.

I have often informed Boz of tours before Morrissey has even contacted him.

all don't know

K.M :love:

One day there will be justice for Kirsty. It's utterly shameful what her mother & family went through after the "accident".
Her children witnessed that too.
Something that the law should deal with rather than karma.
FWD.

I have often informed Boz of tours before Morrissey has even contacted him.
Do you know Boz Boorer?
That's amazing!
He seems like a nice chap.
I know Boz is an artist in his own right and I always get the impression he's kind of lost himself by letting his career become defined by someone else's work.
Then again, it puts bread on the table.

Hey celibate, usually your posts are finely written, but I gotta admit that is one pile of steaming puke you just discharged. Or am I suffering a brain hemorrhage?

my posts are always a pile of steaming dung, as English isn't my native langauge, been around the net and could write decent english, but it didn't improve. Their might be a brain damage reason, but let's say, I'm a lousy writer.

my posts are always a pile of steaming dung, as English isn't my native langauge, been around the net and could write decent english, but it didn't improve. Their might be a brain damage reason, but let's say, I'm a lousy writer.
No. Let's not.
Your English is excellent.

you are fine celibate no need to worry.

Do you know Boz Boorer?
That's amazing!
He seems like a nice chap.
I know Boz is an artist in his own right and I always get the impression he's kind of lost himself by letting his career become defined by someone else's work.
Then again, it puts bread on the table.

He is a really nice chap. we recorded a version of Trouble Loves Me at his studio in West Hampstead. I had tea in his his garden and then off to pub before recording. Then to the Pub and then back to the studio. He's a musical master. Much under rated. He has a masters in music if my mind is correct.

Watching him play directly in front of me is one of the highlights of my life.

He is a really nice chap. we recorded a version of Trouble Loves Me at his studio in West Hampstead. I had tea in his his garden and then off to pub before recording. Then to the Pub and then back to the studio. He's a musical master. Much under rated. He has a masters in music if my mind is correct.
If that story has as much authenticity as the tat you sell on eBay then it's a load of old cobblers.

The track has been uploaded to this site before

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom