"His hands are tied" ....and other such avoidances

@Dead End Kid: I found your opinion very interesting and agree with most parts. Keep on posting!

@Dave: I agree with you too, not really interested in cover versions of Morrissey songs.

the fans have been bled for a while now, so morrissey's got to accept some blame. rca, sanctuary and decca have all released cd 1# and cd2# etc as well as vinyls in order to make fans buy all if they want all the songs, when the 4 or 5 songs could easily be put on 1 cd. thats only my opinion though.

@dead end kid-as you got tickets for both nights and friends of yours who are "loyal as you" didn't get any,then be a friend and give them some of yours.i know my friends wouldn't see me sit at home when they had surplus.
i agree with you about ticket distribution on the whole.the internet has killed the the atmosphere in concerts in the last few years.not so long ago when you had to physically go to a shop and get tickets,sometimes that meant staying outside a shop door all night in the freezing rain,thats when you got real fans and real atmosphere at gigs.these days people/touts just sit at home and just snap up tickets with credit card after credit card,leaving dedicated fans with a bad taste in their mouth.

I did give the tickets to my friends.

Here's an idea:

Do a poll to see how many people actually paid cover price for their ticket for the show(s) they are going/have seen on this tour.

The dedicated ones could ask people leaving the venue after the show if they minded telling. By then the touts should be gone and less risk of hassle. Wonder if the venues would co-operate? :rolleyes:

Don't ask me, though, I havn't got a ticket, yet....:(
has this been tried before?
Would it do any good?
Could enough accurate info be gathered to make it worthwhile?

:confused::confused:

How about this......Morrissey starts an "official" fan club. Dues are $20-30 per year. You sign up and get access to goodies such as tour tickets. Fan club members get tickets based on seniority. Those with higher seniority get best tickets. These tickets go on sale thru the fan club website BEFORE they go on sale to general public.

This is what Pearl Jam has been doing for years and it actually works pretty well. Before you harp on the "yeah I want front row seats and I'll never get 'em because I joined late", PJ did a lottery for a few rows this year. To switch it up, they randomly picked fans to sit in rows 1-2, 8 and 10 for all their shows this summer.

Last edited:
I have to say that while a huge Smiths and Morrissey fan, my musical world is and always has been much broader. I have thousands of vinyl and cd albums and have attended most probably over a thousand gigs (although I have never actually counted them). While your description may apply to other I can assure you, it does not describe myself.
Other bands do not purport, in quite the same way as Morrissey, to have THAT connection with fans. I don't think he's connected enough with fans to do anything that would deliberately annoy them. Who else though can you think of that consistently releases tickets like dripping chinese water torture. I can't think of any other band that uses this practice.
yeah same with me have gone to concerts fsince i was 16 of the most diverse bands/music styles
and only one concert i didnt get cause it was sold out..that was sonic youth in berlin 2006..I wanted so badly to go since the next day (sunday) was my first morrissey gig and this would have been the perfect combination: saturday:sonic youth sunday : morrissey..
I wasnt registered at ebay back then nor did I had a credit card
and only for moz did travel to the UK in 2008
as most of the bands I like do tour my country ..only Moz doesdrop by every 6,8 years or so
so i just didnt go to the sonics 9 ago i would have thought of byuing from the touts..but i also didnt have money left anyway
maybe most of the bands i like arent that popular?or the reason that its different to get tickets here in germany..cause i do remember the moz ticket for germany 06 were avaiable longer as when they got sold in the US/UK...
but germany is like..what the biggest music market and people here do love concerts and are just as dedicated to go to concerts as everywhere else..arent the touts here not as present at least online maybe..hmm?
.and I must say I have never seen this rush for tickets(sold out in 10 minutes )as with moz...
yes I wonder too why he dont just announce a whole tour and he only announce them piece by piece..have any journo asked him about that?
and the one day before the sale goes on start notice is int really i his typical style, isnt it?..2 months previous is normal in his case right??

Last edited:
Who else though can you think of that consistently releases tickets like dripping chinese water torture. I can't think of any other band that uses this practice.

LMTO:clap:

I must say it all seems very badly organized, from the outside...

Someone ought to listen to B.Obama! (see other post somewhere else)

Believe it or not? I got tickets for both nights in Manchester. I don't think that's the point though.

REAL fans keep missing out and I don't see Morrissey doing anything about it.

I think it is the point. You got tickets to two gigs which means that someone else didn't get the ticket for one of them. REAL fans can't get tickets because other REAL fans get more tickets than they need.
He's doing two gigs in a 6,000 capacity venue which should mean 12,000 different people should get to see him. What's actually going to happen is 10,000 different people (or less) are going to see him & another 1000 (or more) are going to see him twice.
I don't see how fans selfishly insisting on going to every gig is Morrissey's fault.

how is it selfish to go see both shows? you say that some "real fans" got more tickets than they actually need. newsflash: no-one NEEDS any tickets.

how is it selfish to go see both shows? you say that some "real fans" got more tickets than they actually need. newsflash: no-one NEEDS any tickets.

Some people do think they NEED tickets to every Morrissey gig.

And it's selfish because the gigs are at the Apollo which isn't the biggest of venues, they are absolutely going to sell out in a very short space of time.
Knowing that and still buying tickets for yourself to both gigs is selfish.

maybe in your mind that is a selfish act. i don't see it that way. and i'm sure those people don't think they need to go to every show, they probably think that they really really really want to go to every show. if they have the means to do so, i don't think that's a problem either.

I think the point being made is people are moaning that it was Morrissey's fault shows were selling out because he wasn't announcing them all at once. But even when he announces two gigs in the same venue at once, the very people who are complaining admit they bought tickets for both gigs. Which seems a bit hypocritical to say the least.:p

I think the point being made is people are moaning that it was Morrissey's fault shows were selling out because he wasn't announcing them all at once. But even when he announces two gigs in the same venue at once, the very people who are complaining admit they bought tickets for both gigs. Which seems a bit hypocritical to say the least.:p

Well said.

I think it must be a love hate relationship with some fans.

but it's not the people buying themselves a ticket for each of the shows that made them sell out so quickly, it's down to the touts with teams of yoofs each buying 8 tickets apiece. and while there would still obviously be touts if he announced an entire tour, i think the problem would be lessened.

He announced around 40 dates in the UK in 2006. All announced at the same time. They were still sold out quickly and we still had the problem with touts. I think people just need to face up to the fact that it's nothing specifically to do with Morrissey, all popular acts have the same problem.

What about full tour dates (or larger chunks of time) for the simple fact alone of planning our lives around it...ticket $, time off, transportation, accomodation, etc. It should be easier. It's like feeding the pigeons. :rolleyes::p

What about full tour dates (or larger chunks of time) for the simple fact alone of planning our lives around it...ticket $, time off, transportation, accomodation, etc. It should be easier. It's like feeding the pigeons. :rolleyes::p

some of us enjoy feeding the pigeons

How about this......Morrissey starts an "official" fan club. Dues are $20-30 per year. You sign up and get access to goodies such as tour tickets. Fan club members get tickets based on seniority. Those with higher seniority get best tickets. These tickets go on sale thru the fan club website BEFORE they go on sale to general public.

This is what Pearl Jam has been doing for years and it actually works pretty well. Before you harp on the "yeah I want front row seats and I'll never get 'em because I joined late", PJ did a lottery for a few rows this year. To switch it up, they randomly picked fans to sit in rows 1-2, 8 and 10 for all their shows this summer.
Wow - for the first time I think I like Pearl Jam - what a great way to treat your fans.

How about people not thinking they are someone more important than other fans just because they go to more gigs?

Everyone should have the same opportunity to buy tickets whether they see Morrissey at every show or they see him once every five years.

People are very quick to slag off Julia for special treatment, but it seems that they are only bothered about that because they don't get that treatment themselves.

Actually, when I bought tickets to see Morrissey last year, I thought that they were very reasonably priced, considering what I got--close seats at small venues (the Genesee Theatre in Waukegan and the Star Plaza in Merrillville, respectively). The sound at the Genesee and the view at the Star Plaza simply could not be beat. I got much more than my money's worth.

Think of all of the musical acts out there that charge out the wazoo for nosebleed seats at huge venues like the United Center (which is, for those not familiar with the Chicago area, where the Bulls play basketball). Also think of all of the acts that charge out the wazoo for small, intimate gigs like the ones Morrissey regularly plays.

And, unfortunately, for some acts, like Pearl Jam, the fan club system works, oftentimes, it fails miserably. Remember not too long ago, with the Hannah Montana fan club debacle? Soccer moms were practically out rioting in the streets over that one.

Tags
prices tour
Back
Top Bottom