Hand in Glove Mayking Test Press

gbow

Hi

I'm new to the forum so apologies if I break any rules.

I'd be interested in peoples thoughts in this Mayking Test Press of Hand in Glove I have. Its been in my possession for about 20 years and I havent been able to find out much about it.

The A side matrix has RT 131 A-2U-1- stamped and Kiss My Shades handwritten
The B side matrix has hand written RT-131-B, ORLAKE and a faint TY1 stamped

I've attached scans of the labels and tried to take photos to show the run-out grooves

What do people think?

Gareth

Attachments

• hig1.jpg
    hig1.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 85
  • hig2.jpg
    hig2.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 66
  • HIG3.jpg
    HIG3.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 56
  • HIG4.jpg
    HIG4.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 44
  • HIG5.jpg
    HIG5.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 42
Put it on Ebay, put up your feet up and start planning that holiday in Barbados, because this will do it for you.

P.

Hi Gareth
I'm very curious to know how it did end up in your possession?
This is a very rare item to own not knowing that much about what it is.
I don't want to be impolite with this direct question. I'm only hoping for an exciting story:)
Thanks for sharing the pictures

Thanks for the replies.

I been to passionjustlikemine.com before I posted and read about Mayking/MPO/Orlake test pressings on other sites, so I'm not as clueless about it as my post probably suggests! I just find it odd to own something like this that doesnt appear to have been documented anywhere.

I'm afraid theres no grand story to how I came to own in, I bought it for £6 in a Record Fair in Swansea many years ago. It would have been after 1988 as I had also bought a Nick Cave Deanna single. £6 was the most I'd spent on a single at the time and I wasnt too impressed with myself, so it would have sat in a box for years. I later bought a repress of Hand in Glove and when I compared the two A sides I could see they matched apart from the repress having RT 131 A-2U-1-2-5, the b sides are different.

Every few years I've googled for it expecting someone to say they also own a copy but I found nothing, so it back in the box it goes. I've eventually realised it probably for me to make other people aware of its existence.

Gareth

Gareth,

That repressed stock copy that you mention, can you tell me if there is an address on the back of the sleeve? If yes is it in London
or Manchester? Also, is the sleeve credited to the Smiths or Morrissey?

Could you give me the matrix numbers for both the Mayking pressing and that stock repressing?

thanks,
Stephane

Hi Stephane,

My Repress on back of sleeve:
Sleeve by MORRISSEY
ROUGH TRADE RECORDS
67-71 Collier Street, London N1 9BE

Mayking Side A

Kiss My Shades (Handwritten)
RT 131 A-2U-1- (Stamped)

My Repress Side A

Kiss My Shades (Handwritten)
RT 131 A-2U-1-2-5 (Stamped)

The handwritting to me looks identical

Mayking Side B

ORLAKE (Handwritten)
RT-131-B (Handwritten)
TY1 (Stamped)
For all of the above, Top of text faces label and bottom of text faces grooves

My Repress Side B

KISS MY SHADES TOO. (Handwritten) Top of text faces label and bottom of text faces grooves
RT 131 B1 (Handwritten) Top of text faces grooves, bottom of text faces label
PORKY (Handwritten) Top of text faces label and bottom of text faces grooves

The other noticeable difference between the B sides is the area/grooves with the 'music' is wider on the Mayking version compared to the repress.

Back
Top Bottom