greatest albums of the 21st century so far - anyone?

• Thread starter brokennaasdfsdf
  • Start date
B

brokennaasdfsdf

i need to buy some new albums - who better to ask than a few fellow morrissey fans?

> i need to buy some new albums - who better to ask than a few fellow
> morrissey fans?

'Picaresque' by The Decemberists is pretty amazing. The singer and chief songwriter Colin Meloy is a huge fan of Morrissey (he even recorded an E.P. of Moz covers), but it rarely shows. They're a really beautiful & underrated band, and 'Picaresque' is their best work to date.

can you describe it? Be as verbose as you wish.

I just get sick of looking at magazine opinions because journalists really have no iduea about loving music. They listen once, maybe twice, perhaps 15 times if they really like a new album. It's not the same as being a fan and listening every day for 2 years.

So feel free to describe it!

Rufus Wainwright's albums Poses, Want One and Want Two are all too genius for words.

but.. can you describe them? Can you sell them to someone who hasn't heard him sing before?

Everyone says "oh this is amazing" - but how is it amazing?

Well, I don't like reviews as they are usually more about the reviewer than the music being reviewed (this from the guy who wrote a huge review of ROTT today!). All I can say is practically all of his songs connect with me on a level only matched by a handful of artists. Buy them and see what you think (unless you already own them).

They're a really hard band to describe. They're like a sort of mid-point between The Smiths & early English folk music. They encompass all sorts of influences to make incredibly unique music. Also, I believe Colin Meloy to be the best lyricist since Morrissey - certainly the most erudite, anyway. The subjects that he writes about in his songs are incredibly fresh and original, and unlike anything else around today. Their greatest album "Picaresque", for example, features songs about a joint suicide pact, two mariner's being swallowed by a whale (on "The Mariner's Revenge Song" - their greatest ever recording) and falling over during a football game.

I don't really know what else to say... I cannot praise them enough, and I urge you (and anyone else reading who already hasn't) to purchase 'Picaresque'.

well you've made me curious now - i might just pick up a copy. You really can't trust the music press to let you know when a great album is released these days.

> They're a really hard band to describe. They're like a sort of mid-point
> between The Smiths & early English folk music. They encompass all
> sorts of influences to make incredibly unique music. Also, I believe Colin
> Meloy to be the best lyricist since Morrissey - certainly the most
> erudite, anyway. The subjects that he writes about in his songs are
> incredibly fresh and original, and unlike anything else around today.
> Their greatest album "Picaresque", for example, features songs
> about a joint suicide pact, two mariner's being swallowed by a whale (on
> "The Mariner's Revenge Song" - their greatest ever recording)
> and falling over during a football game.

> I don't really know what else to say... I cannot praise them enough, and I
> urge you (and anyone else reading who already hasn't) to purchase
> 'Picaresque'.

a good review is about more than the reviewer and his own limited tastes. Very few people write good reviews these days because the best writers very rarely go into music journalism.

I recommend ballboy

www.ballboymusic.com

scottish folk idie

beautiful beautiful stuff

Back
Top Bottom