Good books abour Morrissey

I have just read Rogans "The Severed Allianance" which I liked a lot.

Has there been written any good books about Morrissey that focuses on his life and his career after the split?

Recently published Meeting with Morrissey by Len Brown got good feedbacks from people who read the book.

Simon Goddard's Songs That Saved Your Life is one of the essential reading.

http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/biblio.htm
for reviews of every single v book (at least the official) check out the likes of amazon

edit
My personal favourite is Songs That Saved Your Life. Full of really interesting little facts about the songs that we all love and think we know. This book may educate the most ardent Morrissey/Smiths fan.
oh absolutely.
there is also a part of the book which deals with the post smiths period and the viva hate recordings-
beside the listings and details of every smiths song (also influences:musically and lyrics) -indeed essential
i dont know if both editions have this post smiths section
i would choose the newer edition since johnny marr who read it the older edition
did add some s new stuff and correct false facts for the new edition

i really enjoyed reading "All men have secrets" which contains the thoughts on every smiths song from fans around the world-even though it not fit your exact request ^^^ but its a very good read.

actually i found mr simpsons book quite entertaining.
since im not a expert on the class system in britain or on the citizens of northern england;-)i it was nice that he goes into that a bit beside going into morrissey influences and others.. and I think he never put himself to much into the book but nothing new for the "Moz obsessed fan"

a great but pricey book is jo slee`s "peepholism"
describing the making of the Smiths and Morrissey sleeves, put together by morrissey collaborator jo slee. Full of interesting facts about the stories of The Smiths and Morrissey.
Many unseen aborted sleeves, variations, mispressings, etc.
gorgeous!

and lindersterling`s gorgeous photobook "morrissey shot"with shots from the 91 tour on- and offstage.
absolutely marvelous!!!
much better than kevin cummins MUCH to skinny book.i expected much more since he did shot so many great photos ..i do really not need to have a shot of the "ELECTRONIC" backstage door room ;-(

oh paul slattery`s photobook of the early smiths days is great also

Last edited:
You could try Johnny Rogan's "Morrissey: The Albums", but it's not as good as "The Severed Alliance".

David Bret's books on Moz ("Landscapes Of The Mind", "Scandal And Passion") should be avoided like the plague. Same goes for Mark Simpson's "Saint Morrissey" IMO, although quite a number of people find this one quite interesting.

My personal favourite is Songs That Saved Your Life. Full of really interesting little facts about the songs that we all love and think we know. This book may educate the most ardent Morrissey/Smiths fan.

I also strongly recommend Morrissey In Conversation, which is a book of "key" Morrissey interviews from the past 25 years.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Please, people will start thinking you two are my best friends on the payroll:cool:

Jukebox Jury
yes I am;)
you must be obscenely rich by now for publishing these, hahaha :D;)
how is your villa and the rolls royce doing?

Get yourself Songs That Saved Your Life!

Ignore 'Panic On the Streets' and 'Morrissey's Manchester' and all the rubbish though :p...you know I'm joking JJ ;)

Love PTxx.

You could try Johnny Rogan's "Morrissey: The Albums", but it's not as good as "The Severed Alliance".

David Bret's books on Moz ("Landscapes Of The Mind", "Scandal And Passion") should be avoided like the plague. Same goes for Mark Simpson's "Saint Morrissey" IMO, although quite a number of people find this one quite interesting.

Seconded, on Bret. He out-and-out changes published lyrics to support his agenda (his version of the first line of I'd Love To: "Gay, I lay awake..."). If you took the solo years of Rogan's Morrissey: The Albums and had Simon Goddard handle the material, I think it would have been a fantastic book rather than a merely serviceable one. I'd love to see something covering the solo years with the participation of the producers, the Lads, and the earlier musicians pre-Arsenal.

Cheers,
Jamie

Yeah, that's what i heard about Saint Morrissey, that its interesting i mean, why do you think its bad? I'm looking for some easy and exciting read cause books dont normally keep my attention.

Yeah, that's what i heard about Saint Morrissey, that its interesting i mean, why do you think its bad? I'm looking for some easy and exciting read cause books dont normally keep my attention.

when youre looking for easy stuff which can be read easily then i would go with simpson`s saint moz..as i said some likes his writing style some dont .

but one of the best things to read morrissey`s interviews cause they are never fails to entertain you. morrissey is absolutely "interview gold";)
and his own words are mostly more interesting than some observations of a journo.
like the "morrissey in conversation" book

I struggled a bit with rogans book .its pretty thick,it takes a eternity til it starts getting interesting..yes the history of ireland is surely interesting but is it really needed to be included in this book about morrissey?
also the oversystematic dealings with each and every one of morrissey`s teachers in school was not really needed.
.the book is interesting and detailed but not really a book for a in between read.

even though I wonder about morrissey`s comment: "that the book is 80 percent lies"
i think because he was angry about that mr rogan really did really look under each and every stone in his past..even though i wonder how mr rogan could get his hands on morrissey`s diary since he quoted a few lines from it...did morrissey`S MOTHER lent him the diary-hmm very unlikely

songs to save your life i found pretty easy to read to.

and a book which is not so easy to get but also a easy read: "all men have secrets"

Tags
sad
Back
Top Bottom