Germaine Greer loves Morrissey, hates Dylan

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Extracts - "Why do people think that Bob Dylan was a great lyricist? That creep couldn't even wrote doggerel."

"When Morrissey sings in a Morrissey song, he knows exactly what colour every part of every word is meant to be..."

Read the article here.

Cheers,

Peter

Hey, great find. Especially pleasing as I can't stand Bob Dylan!
Thanks.
PS Here's the full excerpt...

When Morrissey sings a Morrissey song, he knows exactly what colour every part of every word is meant to be, and whether it crosses the rhythm to build up tension, or cannons into it to gain emphasis. If Morrissey repeats a line, he may vary it in a new context, or he may keep it exactly the same, as he does with "Every day is like Sunday", because part of the point of the song is the anguish of monotony as perceived by hapless youth - but the music catapults the repetition towards us like a javelin. The music does what the words alone cannot do. To present the words without the music is to emasculate them.

Hey, great find. Especially pleasing as I can't stand Bob Dylan!
Thanks.
PS Here's the full excerpt...

When Morrissey sings a Morrissey song, he knows exactly what colour every part of every word is meant to be, and whether it crosses the rhythm to build up tension, or cannons into it to gain emphasis. If Morrissey repeats a line, he may vary it in a new context, or he may keep it exactly the same, as he does with "Every day is like Sunday", because part of the point of the song is the anguish of monotony as perceived by hapless youth - but the music catapults the repetition towards us like a javelin. The music does what the words alone cannot do. To present the words without the music is to emasculate them.

This is sort of nice but, um, on the repetition thing, don't most pop songs, including many Morrissey tracks, do the same? Greer would have been safer to point out, not the repetition of the chorus (d'oh!), but Morrissey's drawing out of the phrase, emphasizing each syllable, to evoke the boredom and monotony: Ev-er-eeeee-daaaay is liiiiike sun-daaaaaaaaaaay.

I did like that she bothered to mention the music, though. The vital complementary relationship between words and music almost seems like a radical idea in some quarters.

didnt morrissey read her "female eunuch" book quite often ?

there was a funny story related
couldnt quite get it together
somewhere in the late 70ties : tht he was wearing some kind of "offensive "badge and then retuning home to read greers book
..hmmm..she did not be a source for his lyrics but by looking through his fave books which included some feminist reading
he surely has read it..
.so germaine quotes him,david bowie and nancy sinatra did sing a song of him...not bad.

Germaine Greer is superb, but i don't really agree that Dylan can't write lyrics.

I find him difficult to listen to because he sounds like he's got a Kazoo stuck in his throat.

Thanks for posting though..:)

Germaine Greer is superb, but i don't really agree that Dylan can't write lyrics.

I find him difficult to listen to because he sounds like he's got a Kazoo stuck in his throat.

Thanks for posting though..:)

i second that he writes great lyrics but his voice makes me cringe

As effective as what? He's not exactly wallowing at the bottom of the rock pantheon, unlike, oh, I don't know--Morrissey?

:eek:

Happy Mondays, eh?

As effective at pressing people's buttons, and getting people all riled up.

Jeez, I'd rather be wallowing with Morrissey than hanging out with Dylan, any day. I wonder what Bob's forum is like?

As effective at pressing people's buttons, and getting people all riled up.

That's true. Songs like "Blowin' in the Wind," "The Times They Are a-Changin," "Subterranean Homesick Blues," "Like a Rolling Stone," and "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35", didn't rile anybody up at the time. They merely helped shape an entire generation's worldview. Sheesh.

Jeez, I'd rather be wallowing with Morrissey than hanging out with Dylan, any day. I wonder what Bob's forum is like?

But that's not what we're talking about here. We're discussing whether Dylan's lyrics are really "doggerel," while Morrissey's are somehow perfectly colored. Or something.

Back
Top Bottom