Disasterpieces

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29227

So, we've taken a look at, and discussed 'Masterpieces' in another thread (currently at 50 tracks) but what tracks should never have been aired in public?

I know Moz has mentioned his misgivings with Papa Jack & maybe Roy's Keen - which I don't agree with as I think they're both great tracks.

There have been tracks which I've just not liked at all (Teachers are afraid, for one) and others it has taken me some time to like (Sweetie Pie was one) but I'm struggling with this one tbh so would be interested in your views.

Name those 'Disasterpieces'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really, really dislike People Are The Same Everywhere.
It's very annoying, it has no redeeming qualities and I avoid listening to it.

Other songs I don't like for various reasons but wouldn't call "disasters":

-He Cried
-Heir Apparent
-Now I Am A Was
-America Is Not The World
-The Father Who Must Be Killed
-This Song Doesn't End When It's Over

These aren't even bad songs per se, I just don't like them. I think this category is even more difficult and even more subjective than the "masterpiece" one tbh.

I don't think I'd go so far as to name any as my mood can often dictate what is or isn't appreciated on a weekly basis - as I sort a lot of live stuff often, hearing a gig version of an album track I'm tired of can give it a much needed lift and sound fresh again.
That all said, if I was forced to comment - I'd just say anything he sings that is more Moon, June, spoon than florid verse will probably get listened to far less.
Regards,
FWD.

Found Found Found
Roy's Keen
The Secret of Music
Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice
Journalists Who Lie
The Operation
Kick The Bride Down The Aisle

Covers:
Moon Over Kentucky
Song From Under The Floorboards
Lenny's Tune

At least half of Low in High School

He Cried I do like.

I love Heir Apparent, & its reflective theme & him going back to his old city & it's changed...I love the words "I'll see you back here In a few bruised years"; worst lines however, "They'll seduce your heart and then they'll slap your arse". He could have worded that a little better I think.

I wasn't too keen on The Father Who Must Be Killed until more recently when I actually listened to the lyrics.

Love the words on Now I Am A Was - self deprecating - typical Moz I think

America Is Not The World - I've always loved this, despite some weak lyrics - reminds me of beach walking.

This Song Doesn't End When It's Over has a few redeeming qualities, but just not many at all. It's a difficult 'listen'. I'd have this down as a firm contender for a Disasterpiece personally.

I don't think I'd go so far as to name any as my mood can often dictate what is or isn't appreciated on a weekly basis - as I sort a lot of live stuff often, hearing a gig version of an album track I'm tired of can give it a much needed lift and sound fresh again.
That all said, if I was forced to comment - I'd just say anything he sings that is more Moon, June, spoon than florid verse will probably get listened to far less.
Regards,
FWD.
Yes I agree, your own mood can determine how receptive, or not, you might be to certain tracks.
I don't bother with 'live' tracks too much, but I do love the alternate versions, & some alt versions I prefer to the original releases.

Sorrow Will Come In The End.
I do like it, I think because of the story behind it. The music is dark, the lyrics sinister & those two together give the track great atmosphere.
It's lumbering & painful, because it's meant to be. Original & very clever I think.

He Cried I do like.

I love Heir Apparent, & its reflective theme & him going back to his old city & it's changed...I love the words "I'll see you back here In a few bruised years"; worst lines however, "They'll seduce your heart and then they'll slap your arse". He could have worded that a little better I think.

I wasn't too keen on The Father Who Must Be Killed until more recently when I actually listened to the lyrics.

Love the words on Now I Am A Was - self deprecating - typical Moz I think

America Is Not The World - I've always loved this, despite some weak lyrics - reminds me of beach walking.

This Song Doesn't End When It's Over has a few redeeming qualities, but just not many at all. It's a difficult 'listen'. I'd have this down as a firm contender for a Disasterpiece personally.
I should have been more specific about why I don't like these songs in particular. In most cases it has nothing to do with the lyrics.
There are many aspects that play into whether I like to listen to a song or not. Lyrics do play a role of course but when I don't like the vocal melody or the music goes on my nerves these negatives outweigh great lyrics.
Like I said, it's highly subjective and in fact a bit off topic because I wouldn't call any of these songs "disasterpieces".
With the exception of People Are The Same Everywhere, which is just dreadful and I hope will never be played live again so that I don't have to hear it ever again. Morrissey calling it "a fantastic song" in that SER interview last year gave me nightmares.

Sorrow Will Come In The End.
I love Sorrow Will Come In The End for what it is. Highly dramatic, completely over the top and very, very Morrissey.
As an odd piece of performance art I find it very enjoyable.

Regards,
FWD.
The part about (re)discovering songs through live versions and appreciating them more as a result is very relatable to me.
I never would have grown to like most songs on Ringleader if it wasn't for my obsession with live recordings because I've always found the album to be almost unlistenable due to the production.

I should have been more specific about why I don't like these songs in particular. In most cases it has nothing to do with the lyrics.
There are many aspects that play into whether I like to listen to a song or not. Lyrics do play a role of course but when I don't like the vocal melody or the music goes on my nerves these negatives outweigh great lyrics.
Like I said, it's highly subjective and in fact a bit off topic because I wouldn't call any of these songs "disasterpieces".
With the exception of People Are The Same Everywhere, which is just dreadful and I hope will never be played live again so that I don't have to hear it ever again. Morrissey calling it "a fantastic song" in that SER interview last year gave me nightmares.
I've put People Are The Same in the holding pen, pending being no.2 disasterpiece. It again (like This Song Doesn't End When It's Over) has some redeeming qualities, but really shouldn't be let out too often.

The part about (re)discovering songs through live versions and appreciating them more as a result is very relatable to me.
I never would have grown to like most songs on Ringleader if it wasn't for my obsession with live recordings because I've always found the album to be almost unlistenable due to the production.
That's really strange; I went out the other day walking &, as I'd not played it all the way through for quite some time, I chose ROTT to play through my earbuds. I couldn't believe how good it was/is, & why I'd not played it more than I had. I'd clearly underrated it.

That's really strange; I went out the other day walking &, as I'd not played it all the way through for quite some time, I chose ROTT to play through my earbuds. I couldn't believe how good it was/is, & why I'd not played it more than I had. I'd clearly underrated it.
I think the production on Ringleader is just one of those topics that will divide the fans base forever.
To me it sounds tinny and flat but I know that many people love this album.

I made my own version of it though using only live recordings because most of the songs are very strong, the lyrics are great and his voice sounded fantastic around that time. But the studio album is still my least favourite Morrissey album due to the production sounding so inferior to my ears.

Found Found Found
Roy's Keen
The Secret of Music
Journalists Who Lie
The Operation

Covers:
Moon Over Kentucky
Lenny's Tune

I'm ignoring covers from this, but thanks, & I agree with 2 of the covers you mention.
I love Kick The Bride.
The Operation was one of those I alluded to which took me ages to get into & appreciate.
Ironically, The Secret of Music appears in the Masterpiece listing.

Found Found Found
Roy's Keen
The Secret of Music
Journalists Who Lie
The Operation

Covers:
Moon Over Kentucky
Lenny's Tune

Roy's Keen and The Operation are two of my personal favourites from their respective eras. ?

Roy's Keen and The Operation are two of my personal favourites from their respective eras. ?
I agree.
On The Operation, I thought they'd got the track listing wrong, and that it was actually Southpaw...because a southpaw boxer is one who leads with his right hand, so the lyrics You fight with your right hand, And caress with your left hand seemed to belong the the southpaw track.

I like Dagenham Dave - and the video.
It's a quick, fast track that's actually fun (Roy's Keen too)...which is rare amongst Moz tunes ...it conjures up images of a chavvy londony chap, popular with the ladies etc.

It's a quick, fast track that's actually fun (Roy's Keen too)...which is rare amongst Moz tunes ...it conjures up images of a chavvy londony chap, popular with the ladies etc.
Yes, it captures that era of East London/Essex perfectly (and with great humour).

Back
Top Bottom