Did Morrissey ever try to kill himself?

... and do you think he would admit it publicly?

No I don't think he has as I don't see him as someone who would be able to. He's to aware and wouldn't be able to lose his way in the misery that way though he does get asked. He once walked off a show when someone told at least kurt meant what he was saying when he said he was suicidal. I do think he suffers from biological depression but I also his mentality and mental state wouldn't let him go through with it which is just a negative feedback loop that sucks hard

Wasn't there a Peter-Hogg era Valium overdose rumour a while ago?

Morrissey would not let his depression win. Morrissey knows he can't go yet. He has so much left to say to the world. I also suffer from severe depression, and when i was lying on my sofa and i heard morrisseys belt out Dear god please help me i knew that i would not leave this world, because this man is standing with me in my corner. He is as desperate and tired, but he makes sure that he gets something out of this world. People will know, Morrissey is a fighter. some people, Morrissey and me will always be depressed, its in our blood. Its almost as nothing will give us joy, but none of us will stop to atleast feel some peace. Also, i do belive that Morrissey does like life a little bit or are atleast curious about life and the things to come, even though he is in his fifties. Whats around the corner has always been morrisseys fuel. Thats is one of the resons he does not reform the Smiths, he always moves forward.
Plus we have this image in our head that Morrissey is terribly depressed, which is true to an extent. But Morrissey knows that depression and sadness is the key to his creativity. It is his safety zone

I don't want to think about the day when Morrissey passes away

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there are various reasons for depression and that some people are described as suffering from depression when they're just very perceptive and intelligent people. Life and people just wears some people down and Moz is the perfect example as he has spent most of his life describing other people as a major problem for him. Some people are just bored and believe they have depression cause the clinical symptom is of course when a person feels that tidying their home a bit is like climbing the highest mountain.

I believe that Moz suffers from lack of vitamins and minerals from being a veggie and that will create periods of his life when he feels down for no reason. There is also the misconception among people that we are meant to be happy all the time which is of course impossible. Our mind feels the effects of the body and the fluids and hormones in it and so our emotions naturally change with it.

I do suspect that one of the many times Moz has been at hospital may have included at least one suicide attempt over the years but it's doubtful he ever used a method that would work. He is obsessed with death and talks about it a lot and mostly people doing that are afraid of death.

I believe there are various reasons for depression and that some people are described as suffering from depression when they're just very perceptive and intelligent people. Life and people just wears some people down and Moz is the perfect example as he has spent most of his life describing other people as a major problem for him. Some people are just bored and believe they have depression cause the clinical symptom is of course when a person feels that tidying their home a bit is like climbing the highest mountain.

I believe that Moz suffers from lack of vitamins and minerals from being a veggie and that will create periods of his life when he feels down for no reason. There is also the misconception among people that we are meant to be happy all the time which is of course impossible. Our mind feels the effects of the body and the fluids and hormones in it and so our emotions naturally change with it.

I do suspect that one of the many times Moz has been at hospital may have included at least one suicide attempt over the years but it's doubtful he ever used a method that would work. He is obsessed with death and talks about it a lot and mostly people doing that are afraid of death.
i agree with you in the first part, but the rest, no
Do not think moz ever attempted to kill himself

of course, it's his profession. but he's an unsuccessful professional. do you read his lyrics?!

Can't really agree. There are other disorders that can make a person depressed from dealing with people that don't correspond with a biological component of depression that are still valid. I also think morrissey takes just as much inspiration from joy and contention than he does from feeling melancholy which I think is a better word to describe moz and his work

Wasn't there a Peter-Hogg era Valium overdose rumour a while ago?

Yes, and there was a rumour about a suicide attempt in 1995 but I can't remember any details. Regarding the valium rumour, I more and more get the impression that the whole Hogg era was rather about drugs than about sex and that's the reason Moz is so quiet about it because, honestly, I think Moz would need someone to encourage him take stuff. I can't imagine Moz himself buying stuff.

Yes, and there was a rumour about a suicide attempt in 1995 but I can't remember any details. Regarding the valium rumour, I more and more get the impression that the whole Hogg era was rather about drugs than about sex and that's the reason Moz is so quiet about it because, honestly, I think Moz would need someone to encourage him take stuff. I can't imagine Moz himself buying stuff.

Well these days he has the funds to get legitimate prescription drugs but I think on the the whole he said he didn't care much to try. Made said they smoked pot til it came out there ears and interesting drug is supposed to be about taking e and looking in the mirror and for the first time seeing someone he found attractive but mix doesn't seem like a street drug kinda guy. As for buying I'm sure he would have someone else do that.

Funny. My auto correct makes marr into made and moz gets to be mix. I hate auto correct and I guess I'll try and figure out how to turn it off in the morn provided I sleep tonight.

No. What's the URL?

this is literally-minded. simplified version, for you:

of course, it's his profession. but he's an unsuccessful professional. do you read his lyrics?! do you read this forum?!

I don't quite get what your saying but I wanted to reply because it was bothering me.

Yes intelligent and most importantly perceptive people, I personally don't think intelligence comes into it as much as perception at least not the one everyone thinks of when people think of intelligence, you know maths, english and science and having a high IQ and passing all the tests and all the rest of it. What you should be talking about is emotional intelligence because that goes hand in hand with perception. I think it's very naive to suggest that people who get great grades at school and do well in everything academically are going to suffer from depression or have a mental health diagnosis, it simply holds no basis in reality, I also believe studies back me up on this. So whether someone can add up a load of sums or do well in a science test or hold jobs that require such skills or do well in education generally doesn't come into it, emotional intelligence is just as important as general intelligence and is much more a likely cause for developing such illnesses.

Perceptive people are much more likely to develop depression and clinical depression at that and I agree that it's not the kind of depression where you don't know why you're depressed but you just are instead it's being very aware of the world and other people and for example struggling in society to fit in, basically you're very aware why your depressed.

Also and perhaps most importantly social anxiety/phobia and all anxiety disorders in general are far more likely to develop in somebody with high EI and it just bugs me that you hadn't mentioned that in your comment. Morrissey without a doubt suffered from some forms of social anxiety if not full blown at some point in his life. I've suffered from it almost all my life and depression for many years yet I didn't do particuarlly well at school and didn't go onto higher education, it didn't help that I suffered from mental health issues throughout all my life though.

The point is Morrissey does suffer from depression though the word is thrown about so often in society with so many people claiming to have it when they don't which doesn't help treating and the progress therapies and anti-depressants have. I believe he's mostly overcome his social anxieties of course with getting older helps as well but its not something you can rid yourself of compltely no matter what therapy or drugs or anything else you get. Especially when it's developed in childhood.

"Some people are just bored and believe they have depression cause the clinical symptom is of course when a person feels that tidying their home is a bit like climbing the highest mountain"

Well no the clinical symptom isn't "of course" going to be that exact example you gave. There's many reasons somebody might feel tired and can't be bothered tidying their room. Believe me if you have depression you'll know about it, of course the example you gave could be one of the symptoms theres many many symptoms but no it's not the primary symptom and people who aren't depressed but are just tired from work or partying too much or something else won't think they've got depression unless they really do.

Anyway, I didn't want to reply or comment or anything about this but I was flicking through this forum threads to find an old thread I wanted to re-read and saw this and it stuck in my head and I've tried to give my opinion as best as I could. That's all I can do but please reply if you get to read this. Maybe I misinterpreted your original comment but I just wanted to go against what seemed to me misconceptions on depression and that of "intelligent" people which is a comment which bugs me no end because I feel it shouts out that someone thinks its a "superiority" when it isn't and nor does it alone mean it will effect how likely you're going to suffer from a mental illness.

I don't quite get what your saying but I wanted to reply because it was bothering me.

Yes intelligent and most importantly perceptive people, I personally don't think intelligence comes into it as much as perception at least not the one everyone thinks of when people think of intelligence, you know maths, english and science and having a high IQ and passing all the tests and all the rest of it. What you should be talking about is emotional intelligence because that goes hand in hand with perception. I think it's very naive to suggest that people who get great grades at school and do well in everything academically are going to suffer from depression or have a mental health diagnosis, it simply holds no basis in reality, I also believe studies back me up on this. So whether someone can add up a load of sums or do well in a science test or hold jobs that require such skills or do well in education generally doesn't come into it, emotional intelligence is just as important as general intelligence and is much more a likely cause for developing such illnesses.

Perceptive people are much more likely to develop depression and clinical depression at that and I agree that it's not the kind of depression where you don't know why you're depressed but you just are instead it's being very aware of the world and other people and for example struggling in society to fit in, basically you're very aware why your depressed.

Also and perhaps most importantly social anxiety/phobia and all anxiety disorders in general are far more likely to develop in somebody with high EI and it just bugs me that you hadn't mentioned that in your comment. Morrissey without a doubt suffered from some forms of social anxiety if not full blown at some point in his life. I've suffered from it almost all my life and depression for many years yet I didn't do particuarlly well at school and didn't go onto higher education, it didn't help that I suffered from mental health issues throughout all my life though.

The point is Morrissey does suffer from depression though the word is thrown about so often in society with so many people claiming to have it when they don't which doesn't help treating and the progress therapies and anti-depressants have. I believe he's mostly overcome his social anxieties of course with getting older helps as well but its not something you can rid yourself of compltely no matter what therapy or drugs or anything else you get. Especially when it's developed in childhood.

"Some people are just bored and believe they have depression cause the clinical symptom is of course when a person feels that tidying their home is a bit like climbing the highest mountain"

Well no the clinical symptom isn't "of course" going to be that exact example you gave. There's many reasons somebody might feel tired and can't be bothered tidying their room. Believe me if you have depression you'll know about it, of course the example you gave could be one of the symptoms theres many many symptoms but no it's not the primary symptom and people who aren't depressed but are just tired from work or partying too much or something else won't think they've got depression unless they really do.

Anyway, I didn't want to reply or comment or anything about this but I was flicking through this forum threads to find an old thread I wanted to re-read and saw this and it stuck in my head and I've tried to give my opinion as best as I could. That's all I can do but please reply if you get to read this. Maybe I misinterpreted your original comment but I just wanted to go against what seemed to me misconceptions on depression and that of "intelligent" people which is a comment which bugs me no end because I feel it shouts out that someone thinks its a "superiority" when it isn't and nor does it alone mean it will effect how likely you're going to suffer from a mental illness.

in general, nicely said

I heard he tried to get Bradley to do it for him, but he refused. ;)

Back
Top Bottom