Crouch End novelist William Thacker on writing "Steven" - Hampstead Highgate Express

Crouch End novelist on writing a biopic of Smiths star Morrissey - Hampstead Highgate Express

Bridget Galton talks to a Crouch End novelist who has also co-written Morrissey biopic Steven.

Excerpt:

“I was on set which is not typical but they wanted me to have another pair of eyes on the story,” says Thacker. “Not to be a diva just if I thought certain lines weren’t truthful to the meaning of the piece. It was a very collaborative cast and amazing to work with so many talented people. Jack Lowden is going to be great.”

...Filmed in Stretford where Morrissey grew up, the movie, which comes out “early next year” did not have the co-operation of its subject and was mostly written before Morrissey’s famously turgid 2013 autobiography.

“We did lots of research about Morrissey before his book came out. We wanted to focus on his adolescence, a particular moment in his life. Many music biopics commit hagiography and re-write history but we wanted to write something a bit different and real.”

38781_william_thacker.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey didn't 'co-operate'. So what. He probably wasn't even asked. I wouldn't blame him if he's against the whole idea of this film. I don't see how it will make any money if it focuses only on his early formative years. I see this cropping up on terrestrial TV approx a week after the cinema release. I shouldn't be so pre-judgmental so hopefully I'll eat my words and it will be a masterpiece. At the risk of sounding like a broken record I'd much prefer a film of interviews with Moz or concert footage or 'making of' some of his albums. I have zero interest in seeing an actor mangle such an interesting subject matter.

Morrissey didn't 'co-operate'. So what. He probably wasn't even asked. I wouldn't blame him if he's against the whole idea of this film. I don't see how it will make any money if it focuses only on his early formative years. I see this cropping up on terrestrial TV approx a week after the cinema release. I shouldn't be so pre-judgmental so hopefully I'll eat my words and it will be a masterpiece. At the risk of sounding like a broken record I'd much prefer a film of interviews with Moz or concert footage or 'making of' some of his albums. I have zero interest in seeing an actor mangle such an interesting subject matter.

What are you implying? That films that make money are worth seeing? Do you think Oscar winning films are that award-worthy? They are all shit, along with the blockbuster crap being fed to the clueless teenagers. The best movies are the ones winning Palm D'Or, or the ones you have to find about yourself. You seem like another not-so-clever consumer.

Neat. Always interesting to see some insight to a writers process

What are you implying? That films that make money are worth seeing? Do you think Oscar winning films are that award-worthy? They are all shit, along with the blockbuster crap being fed to the clueless teenagers. The best movies are the ones winning Palm D'Or, or the ones you have to find about yourself. You seem like another not-so-clever consumer.
Typical anonymous poster blinkered and half blinded by your own sense of importance. I mentioned money once but you ignore everything else I said. I'm not wasting any more of my time replying to the likes of you.

This is so weird. I hope I will be proved wrong, but "lots of research", "adolescence, a particular moment in his life", "a bit different and real"? That sounds very strange and predictive of the twisted goal of this film.
It would be nice to know who are the "real" financiers of this propaganda. The name of the writer and his minimum background are very suggestive, by the way. Another soul, devil. And counting.

This is so weird. I hope I will be proved wrong, but "lots of research", "adolescence, a particular moment in his life", "a bit different and real"? That sounds very strange and predictive of the twisted goal of this film.
It would be nice to know who are the "real" financiers of this propaganda. The name of the writer and his minimum background are very suggestive, by the way. Another soul, devil. And counting.

Why

What about making "lots of research" about this??

This would be an interesting "doco"

And it will make lots of money

47907724.cached.jpg

that boy looks about fourteen.then again I will give him the benefit of the doubt until I see the finished product,,,how would they know what a young morrissey was like,,hearsay.

Let me suggest everyine who has doubts to seek out "Nowhere Boy" which focuses on John Lennon's adolescent years, before the Beatles. I'm not saying that is a masterpiece, but an interesting insight. I expect something similar in vein.

What should I be careful about? Imagination?

Yea, it can make you paranoid and effect your judgement and thus your actions. Agree about the starting fight in an empty room even I'm considered one of the boring

We wanted to concentrate on the most affordable part of his life.

Possibly but it's also probably the least known and talked about part of his life and therefore the least contestable among fans and possibly the more interesting as it might be a bit fresher for people rather than hearing a story they've seen recapped a million times. It's kinda hard to put a fresh slant on his story at this point

Possibly but it's also probably the least known and talked about part of his life and therefore the least contestable among fans and possibly the more interesting as it might be a bit fresher for people rather than hearing a story they've seen recapped a million times. It's kinda hard to put a fresh slant on his story at this point
That's a lot of possibly-s.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom