A mere over-exaggerated metaphor...

You told me all the things that people cannot stand about me
I just wished you'd stayed around and help me put them right

I'm, Slipping below the water line
Reach for my hand, And, And the race is won

Show me a barrel and watch me scrape it
Faced with the music, as always I'll face it

I have forgiven you Jesus

For all the desire you placed in me when there's nothing I can do with this desire

I have forgiven you Jesus

For all of the love you placed in me when there's no one I can turn to with this love

Sick down to my heart
That’s just the way it goes.

But sometimes I feel more fulfilled
Making Christmas cards with the mentally ill

And you can shoot me
And you can throw me off a train
I still maintain
I still maintain
Life, life is a pigsty

A job half done
Isn't done
---------------------------------
Gandlord, there's a clock on the wall
Making fun of us all
--------------------------------
At one time the future it stretched out before me
But now it stretches behind

Always looking for attention
Always needs to be mentioned

While I totally love this song (LSGD), I've often wondered what motivated Morrissey to write such a song. It truly is genius but why choose this as subject matter?

A quick check offers possibilities:

Last edited by a moderator:

While I totally love this song (LGSGD), I've often wondered what motivated Morrissey to write such a song. It truly is genius but why choose this as subject matter?
Maybe he sees misogyny in motion as females flirt with people they don't see the danger of.

While I totally love this song (LSGD), I've often wondered what motivated Morrissey to write such a song. It truly is genius but why choose this as subject matter?

A quick check offers possibilities:

I thought it was a metaphor for fame - he's the girl trying to get attention, the lifeguard is the business not paying attention, so she drowns - feeling half aggrieved that the lifeguard was lousy at his job & half like a prat for being in the water.

I thought it was a metaphor for fame - he's the girl trying to get attention, the lifeguard is the business not paying attention, so she drowns - feeling half aggrieved that the lifeguard was lousy at his job & half like a prat for being in the water.
Maybe read link I provided. Interesting. Why are things shrouded in mystery & never clear cut? I hate ambiguity. I like facts, certainty, & black & white decisiveness.

Maybe read link I provided. Interesting. Why are things shrouded in mystery & never clear cut? I hate ambiguity. I like facts, certainty, & black & white decisiveness.
You had to sneak into my room
'just' to read my diary

Maybe read link I provided. Interesting. Why are things shrouded in mystery & never clear cut? I hate ambiguity. I like facts, & black & white decisiveness.

I read the link - I can't see it being Jo Slee, it's too self-contained.

Probably was inspired by Not Waving, But Drowning, the Stevie Smith poem, where the drowning is a metaphor for no one noticing you're not coping with life.

He was more explicit & cheerful about it on the Lifeguard, save me from life song (can't remember the title!).

It's art! It's meant to be mysterious. 😁

This is Not Waving, But Drowning by Stevie Smith 👇

20200801_212316.jpg

Back
Top Bottom