Billy Idol to own the Hollywood Bowl

A

Anonymous

I've seen Billy Idol three times over the last few years and Billy will give 210%, sing the hits and blow the Hollywood Bowl apart with pure entertainment / showbiz.
Then Morrissey will come on, go through the motions, make a few half hearted funny comments, go off after 70 mins / one encore and that will be it.
Morrissey should be supporting Billy Idol.

tbf, Morrissey is supporting Billy Idol by inviting him to play. I'm not sure he deserves the charity, but it's a good thing that someone at least benefits from Moz's latterday poor judgement.

It's a weird pairing. I never viewed Billy as anything other than bubblegum in punk drag. Including Generation X.
So I may have to agree with the OP. Pop music is flashy and showbiz oriented by nature. In this case, it's like having a sticky dessert prior to a meal of sustenance.

I've seen Billy Idol three times over the last few years and Billy will give 210%, sing the hits and blow the Hollywood Bowl apart with pure entertainment / showbiz.
Then Morrissey will come on, go through the motions, make a few half hearted funny comments, go off after 70 mins / one encore and that will be it.
Morrissey should be supporting Billy Idol.

If it was a neutral crowd you'd probably be right. Idol had 5 or 6 well known songs and would be more of a showman. But there will be 15,000 Morrissey fans, many of whom won't even have heard of Idol. He'll be playing to a less than half empty arena. It's a nice choice of support. They're a similar age and both into the 1950s rock'n'roll aesthetic. I'd rather see Idol support Morrissey than some vague, new indie band.

I like billy idol. The person more so than the music (though I enjoy a handful of songs to this day) but it’s just numbers. Billys last album charted 35 in both he U.K. and the u.s while morrissey had a number 2 and 14

Truth be told, when Blondie opened for Moz at MSG a couple years back, they did put on a simply wonderful, entertaining, fun 40 minute set. And then Moz came out and did a huge chunk of WPINOYB, Ganglord, MIM, etc.... and sort of lost the crowd for much of the show, sans the few 'hits'.

I've never suggested that Morrissey should be a Greatest Hits Live! artist, but some of the decisions he makes about setlist selection and the overall pacing of a show can definitely be questioned with legitimacy.

Edit: Here is the setlist from the MSG show in 2015. An arena show with 12,000+ in attendance. I bolded where the energy really went off the rails.

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / Alma Matters / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Istanbul / Will Never Marry / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Kick The Bride Down The Aisle / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / What She Said // Now My Heart Is Full

Last edited:
Steve and Bill have been hangin' around a lot together around LA. Reckon me don't know why this is a weird pairing. They both love potato tacos with extra green salsa at The Sunset Marquis for Taco Tuesday, love racin' jet skis, playin' beach volleyball on Redondo Beach, and they both have Dodger season tickets behind home plate. Although I think Bill's tan is better than Steve's right now since Steve has been on the marketing tour of foreign lands where the sun doesn't come out.

It all depends on Billy Idol's band.

If Billy's band is good, they will blow poor Moz off the stage.

Boz can only do so much with 'his' crew.

L O L :rofl:
Stop it please ! Ive read enough, my belly is hurting :rofl:

GO:laughing: BILLY :laughing: GO :rofl:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

It is really all about who Billy can get for a band and what the sound engineer on the board does.

It would not be too difficult or expensive to get a band to sink Moz's current flotilla.

Love Boz though. I guess he has to work with who Moz approves/would approve.

Back
Top Bottom