Are Morrissey charms an illusion or a reality?

mauve21

Long time participant
And no, it's not a trick question.
But for those of us who swoon a little about what
we find attractive and lovely about Mr. Morrissey,
I wonder are there men out there who are really
like that?
Or have we created a 'delusion of grandeur' for his persona,
oh but I'm sure he designed all this himself.
Hardly esoteric, it's just the enigma of a person's imagined or
otherwise charms , the whole cult of personality
certainly affect us all in here or we wouldn't be in here, I guess.
Anyway, it's the heat making me sink too deep.

Oh I am sure that there is only one person in the world from the unique Morrissey charm school. There are however plenty of charming men out there but the skill is to tell which of them are working at their charm/smarm and which are (as Moz is) naturally charming.

Or have we created a 'delusion of grandeur' for his persona,
oh but I'm sure he designed all this himself.

i think you have hit the nail on the head, really. He has a public persona to sell cds and t shirts.

which are (as Moz is) naturally charming.

how do any of us know he is 'naturally' charming?

Where are nightandday and Worm?

I'd love to read thier eloquent analysis about the subject. ;)

Yes, TMYEM I know what you are getting at. What I meant was he does come accross in interview as naturally charming as opposed to smarmy which many people can. Of course only a lucky few can actually tell us whether he is naturally charming behind closed doors. There is a chance he is a totally charmless miserable old bugger.

I think people as utterly pre-occupied with him as we are seem to project a lot onto him. Through how we listen to the music and the emotional attachment we give to it, we all have our own mental image of how he is. Our own personal Moz if you like. And sadly, it has nothing to do with reality.

Which is why sometimes seeing him live can be a bit disappointing strangely. Because inevitably he is just doing his thing, brilliantly usually, but nevertheless it is never as personal as when he is alone with us on our i-pods...

My husband works for a very famous pop star, and with the best will in the world the fans are all considered a bit loony, and the pop star in question is far removed from the way he is lauded on his many websites. Which is why to my husband I too am a sad loony to love a certain 47 year old pop icon as much as I do...

Sorry that rambled; I'd say part reality, mostly illusion... if he smiles do not be swayed, he simply serves the public image...

There is a chance he is a totally charmless miserable old bugger.

LMAO there is indeed! Why does the idea of a grumpy cantankerous Mozzer make me laugh ...

They're not an illusion.

One of the true tests of genuinely powerful personalities is their ability to show off an obviously created image and yet, behind the scenes, exert every bit as strong an attraction on those around him or her. I think it's partly due to the fact that the line between their created and "real' selves are blurred, sometimes consciously so. They've created a commodified self-image, but that commodified self-image really is who they are. I think we all tend to admire that because pop culture is littered with "stars" who just don't have what it takes to do that. Of course, many people I'm sure would not consider these successful, admired "stars" to be very healthy human beings. I'm sure Morrissey of all people would concur.

The overwhelming number of people who were enchanted by Morrissey the moment they met him, and remained so for years and years, is staggering. Even his detractors, from the reticent sort like Johnny Marr to the angrier ones like Anthony H. Wilson, admit that they find Morrissey interesting-- as an artist, if not a person. But as I said that distinction, artist/person, isn't true in certain cases like Morrissey's. And loyalty to Morrissey, as we've all seen, runs deep and runs long. I attribute it directly to his aura, his "charm", as an artist. I doubt we know exactly what that charm is like in private, but it's one of Lord Rumsfeld's "known unknowns"-- Morrissey's charms must be real or he would have been discovered, betrayed, or outed long ago.

However, to say they are real isn't the same as saying you have an iceberg's chance in...the Arctic Circle in 20 years...of experiencing those charms either in a romantic or friendly relationship with Morrissey or with a man who in many ways resembles Morrissey. It just isn't going to happen. Certain people are legends, and legends are singular. When they were made the mold was broken, as the saying goes. Replicas will only disappoint. Dollars to donuts most of the ladies on this website who have actually met chaps who are Morrissey "clones" (because of looks, intellect, or otherwise) have come away discouraged. To say the least.

So I guess it comes down to this. Yeah, it's real-- but you can't have it. Fortunately Morrissey is an artist who gives so much of himself in his music that you don't really need it. If you have his CDs you're as close as you need to get. Meanwhile, if romance is your aim, I say change your expectations, find a schmuck who can keep you happy, and keep Morrissey as your Harlequin-style lover on the side. Good times with a dependable guy who can program your TV, perform adequately in the bedroom, and knows how to cook, and fantasy times involving long bubble baths and Morrissey CDs on the boombox-- though, y'know, not at the same time.

(Hi Kewpie!)

Yes worm exactly! I like your idea of Moz as a 'harlequin lover on the side'!

My husband has said many times "there are 3 of us in this marriage!" :D

Dollars to donuts most of the ladies on this website who have actually met chaps who are Morrissey "clones" (because of looks, intellect, or otherwise) have come away discouraged.

That's so true; the guy I dated who looked like a Smiths era Moz .... and turned out to be a fan of hip hop who didn't read many books; the musician who fell in love with me, intellectual, insecure, opinionated and charming ... and I didn't fancy him one bit; the bookish film buff, shy and sweet, who I'd have sworn was gay if he hadn't been so good in bed.... and it turned out he hardly listened to music.
The reason Moz is so appealing to me sexually as well as being my favourite artist is more down to (apparent) personality than looks. Not that he's not good looking, but I never fancied him before I saw him perform (sorry, appear). I don't seek out men for their resemblance to him; it's just that, he's everything I ever looked for in a person since I bought into the dream of 'the one', and once the image is there in your head it becomes hard to shake off.
As for Mozzer's charms, I think they have a lot to do with shyness, you can see it when he's interviewed, and it brings out the mothering instinct in females and perhaps confusion in males, i.e. how do you treat a man who seems feminine without being camp? Men seem to treat him as though they're afraid of hurting him.
Once he's on stage he becomes someone else ... In that sense you could say he 'performs', despite his claims to the contrary. But I think that, for him and certain other artists, the stage and the camera have a similar effect to alcohol; they enhance what's already there. There's nothing that isn't real, but his personality has everything to do with the facade he hides behind in public, as many of us do; think about the last time you were out with friends and then the last time you were with your parents or close relatives ... what's betting that everybody is 'two people' in their lives, but they're not poles apart... unless you're a serial killer. The pop star Morrissey is well crafted and extremely magnetic and I'm sure the man is just as appealing, but in a quieter, more reserved and moodier fashion.

[So I guess it comes down to this. Yeah, it's real-- but you can't have it. Fortunately Morrissey is an artist who gives so much of himself in his music that you don't really need it. If you have his CDs you're as close as you need to get. Meanwhile, if romance is your aim, I say change your expectations, find a schmuck who can keep you happy, and keep Morrissey as your Harlequin-style lover on the side. Good times with a dependable guy who can program your TV, perform adequately in the bedroom, and knows how to cook, and fantasy times involving long bubble baths and Morrissey CDs on the boombox-- though, y'know, not at the same time.

(Hi Kewpie!)[/QUOTE]

Yes youv'e really summed it up. That is exactly (apart from the schmuck bit) how it is in my marraige as my husband is intelligent enough to not feel threatened by my 'appreciation' of Morrissey

my marraige as my husband is intelligent enough to not feel threatened by my 'appreciation' of Morrissey

Believe me, it's much more difficult when you're the guy in the relationship and you have to explain your fascination. My CD collection is one thing, but I think it was when I was watching an old Smiths clip and I jumped up, pointed at the screen, and yelled, "Just look at Morrissey's immaculate glistening nipple! Look at it!" that my girlfriend began to arch her eyebrows a little.

Believe me, it's much more difficult when you're the guy in the relationship and you have to explain your fascination. My CD collection is one thing, but I think it was when I was watching an old Smiths clip and I jumped up, pointed at the screen, and yelled, "Just look at Morrissey's immaculate glistening nipple! Look at it!" that my girlfriend began to arch her eyebrows a little.

ha ha I loved that :D

LOL!! That is fantastic Worm - if she can get past that comment I'd say she can get past anything! (He does have immaculate nipples though tis true)

"Morrissey's charms are real. And they're spectacular."

seinfeld9314.jpg

Back
Top Bottom