(Another) PlayLouder interview re: Gene final gig, splitting up etc. {NMC}

B

Boards Of Candida

From http://www.playlouder.com/news/+sleepwelltonight-0/

SLEEP WELL TONIGHT!
Final Gene gig today - Steve Mason speaks!
16 Dec 2004

Tonight marks a very sad event in the history of the earth, humanity and beyond. Yes readers, Gene are to play their last ever gig tonight at London's Astoria. PlayLouder spoke to guitarist Steve Mason about the whys and wherefores...

You've been cracking on with Gene for ten years now Steve. Are you sick, sober and sorry about calling it a day?

Obviously when any relationship ends a part of your heart hurts and this is no different. I think Gene have achieved what we intended to do and it is time to be strong and move on. I think for any band four things have to be in balance: passion, enthusiasm, talent, and direction. Collectively we lost some of those key factors.

Some of your peers from back then are making a fresh start the same night as your final gig - Brett Anderson and Bernard Butler's new band are playing. How do you think that's going to go?

If the Tears were a horse and I had a crisp fifty I would not hesitate in betting on the nag finishing first.

Ouch! Talking of times past, did you feel part of Britpop or was it just a name foist on you that you could do nothing about?

Not really. All the bands of that era were aware of what each other did but it was hardly a music collective with everyone swapping guitars, girlfriends and song ideas.

So Matt told us that you and he are going to write new material together. What new direction can we expect?

Yes, we are currently in negotiations with the Darkness's stylist and are extremely excited. In five years we'll be touring in a Motley Crue tribute band and having the time of our lives.

So what was or is the best thing about being in Gene?

Fast women, cars and parties...

What was your favourite Gene moment? - TALK!

Back
Top Bottom