Andy Rourke Appreciation Thread

Mimi Ramone

Call me too far gone to the point of no return
Andy Rourke would have turned 60 today :(.
I'm still sad, that he past away last year way too early. He is my favourite member of the Smiths, because I think he is the most sincere and grounded one. He really seemed like a sweet no nonsense guy and I absolutely love his stoic face just playing the bass like a king on stage with the Smiths and the occasional smirk, when Moz was doing something funny. I really would have looked forward to a kind of autobiography, because I have a hunch it would be the most truthful account of the Smiths' time without much egotistical veil. But he explicitly did not want to do that, because he said in some interview, that everything has been said already. He is also the only one on good terms with all the members of the Smiths (not so close with Moz, I know, but even he seemed to like him albeit the court case), which says a lot about him.
Being the quieter one of them, there isn't so much content around, but I would like to have a place to collect tidbits about him, hence I created this thread. Please feel free to share Andy-related stuff here:)

Andy is the one who finally got me to buy a bass / amp and start up bass playing! Not too far into my progress yet, but I love messing around with my bass while I listen to a Smiths record spinning on my record player. :) I love the feeling of doing this. Kinda jumps me back in time a bit, to a time where I've never even existed. I'm glad Andy helped me open this door. I don't expect to ever be as good as him, but I don't care. If I do gain any ounce of fame one day I will always say he's been my biggest inspiration. RIP, Andy. Such a sweet soul.

Happy birthday to Andy wherever he is now.
His bass playing was indeed masterful and he played a huge part in The Smiths success!
Record_2024-01-17-12-31-47_3_AdobeExpress.gif

He always seemed like such a laidback, modest and down to earth guy.
As Morrissey said, he never knew his own power.

I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he's OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."
MORRISSEY.

IMG_5295.jpeg

Last edited:
During the Grammy's Annie Lennox version of "Nothing Compares 2 U" honoring artists who died in 2023, Andy Rourke's photo and name were shown. 💜

Screenshot_20240205-033055~2.png

Andy as featured at the Grammys.
FWD.

Blitz Vega commemorates Andy Rourke on Record Store Day

1709415713503.jpeg

"Blitz Vega
In celebration of the late Andy Rourke, Blitz Vega announced his final album Northern Gentlemen. This was Rourke’s last project with Kav Blaggers.​
If Blitz Vega sounds familiar, that’s because we were super excited about Rourke teaming up with former The Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr for the song “Strong Forever” in November 2022.​
That song, along with “LA Vampire” and “Lost & Found”, can be found in Blitz Vega’s debut album, Northern Gentlemen, set to be release on April 26, 2024, via FutureSonic Records/CEN/The Orchard.​
To keep Andy’s name alive, the band and label will be re-releasing their exclusive 2023 Record Store Day 12" vinyl, Strong Forever, to all stores this month. The EP includes two remixes by Daybreakers and Will Kennedy, the single version by Z-Trip Mix, and the original version by Jagz Kooner on Side A. You can purchase the vinyl on Rough Trade.​
The band recently played UK’s This Feeling Fest and planning on doing a promotional tour in the USA. Stay tuned for any US dates announcement."​
(posted in 'other music' forum area last week but apparently sunk out of sight. 2 additional short pieces following this item on the same page cover recent news about Morrissey and Marr separately.)​

Back
Top Bottom