Amanda Palmer to Morrissey: Let me help you crowdsource your next album - Salon.com

Re: Amanda Palmer to Morrissey: Let me help you crowdsource your next album - salon.c

back-off-bitch.jpg

:D

Re: Amanda Palmer to Morrissey: Let me help you crowdsource your next album - salon.c

Gotta hand it to her. She lays out her case to him in as personable, inoffensive, and legitimate a case as I'm sure any of us would love to if we were given the chance. We just want to hear the songs. Yeah, there's been a considerable backlash against the ones he's played so far -- from fans, no less. But speaking personally, it hasn't made me want to hear what else he's got up his sleeve any less. And I wouldn't think any less of him for going this route. His legacy is in the songs, not the industry standard through which they were presented. I wouldn't be any worse off not knowing what label "Southpaw Grammar" was on, just as long as it was released and I could hear the songs.

If that doesn't convince him, nothing will.

I think this is a wonderful letter and I really like the idea. However, words like traditional and tour completely define Morrissey, so I can't get excited. And, even if he did put out a digital record, he would still tour (thank goodness) because I don't think he will ever want to stop. He loves singing live - it's the only way he can have any kind of contact with us. He may slow it down a bit, but I don't think he'll stop any time soon...

This was a heartfelt plea, and I am certainly glad the message was sent! I do hope Morrissey reads this and understands that thousands of us feel the same way. As others have said it is the songs that matter!

I do, of course, doubt Morrissey will be calling Amanda for help:rolleyes:

I just hope he considers DIY....we promise not to get on ya for changing your mind:p

She makes excellent points about not caring about chart position and the fact that record stores are dying so what's the point. I think she misses the point that Morrissey is holding out because he doesn't want the record stores to die and his resolve is contributing (at least in a collective conscious sort of way) to the days of analog. Also Morrissey loves to tour (I think,) it's not like he doesn't want to not have to if he got a chart topping album. So some fantastic points and some majorly missing the point in this letter, but still an excellent letter. Bravo for the balls, Amanda Palmer.

On a side note, are her eyebrows tattooed on? I've never seen that before. A letter from one noteworthy browed musician to another. :p

morrissey has plenty of money. he can fund it himself. asking fans to shoulder the financial risk of investment while taking all of the profit is ludicrous and incredibly exploitative. f*** amanda palmer.

I hope he at least reads this...Come on Morrissey, we need some amazing lyrics to be written this decade!

On a side note, are her eyebrows tattooed on? I've never seen that before. A letter from one noteworthy browed musician to another. :p

No, she paints them on using liquid eye liner. It's interesting. I like it, but I'm a classic brow gal myself. :)

For me any worthwhile music must be recorded on analogue and must be released on vinyl. Digital is fine for a quick listen but it's nowhere near as enjoyable as the real thing.

Anyway, Morrissey's problem isn't so much that he can't get a record out, more that himself and any prospective label can't agree how it would be funded.

I think, given Morrissey's no doubt personal wealth, that he could fund his own recording if he desperately wanted to get his music out. I know he's a man of principle and it's not what he wants to do but maybe it's time he remembered that young twenty something who had no choice but to make records. At the end of the day, it isn't like any record company doesn't claw back the costs of the recording process anyway, it would just be that Morrissey pays up front rather than after, it really does make no difference in the long run.

In short, just get on with it already.

For me any worthwhile music must be recorded on analogue and must be released on vinyl. Digital is fine for a quick listen but it's nowhere near as enjoyable as the real thing.

Anyway, Morrissey's problem isn't so much that he can't get a record out, more that himself and any prospective label can't agree how it would be funded.

I think, given Morrissey's no doubt personal wealth, that he could fund his own recording if he desperately wanted to get his music out. I know he's a man of principle and it's not what he wants to do but maybe it's time he remembered that young twenty something who had no choice but to make records. At the end of the day, it isn't like any record company doesn't claw back the costs of the recording process anyway, it would just be that Morrissey pays up front rather than after, it really does make no difference in the long run.

In short, just get on with it already.
Ah ha Rowntree! So you're a vinyl man. I don't know if you're a North London man but in East Finchley there's a great 2nd hand record shop, Alans. Let me know if you want the address.

I mostly agree with her, but I am also sympathetic for my fellow vinyl aficionados. Regardless, I don't believe for a second that Morrissey is ever going to go for this. He has this weird contradictory set of traits where he seems to despise the mainstream, but has a tremendous ego that doesn't permit to want to be an "alternative" or "indie" act. It's like he wants to make the music of Patti Smith or the New York Dolls, but be treated like Justin Beiber.

Ah ha Rowntree! So you're a vinyl man. I don't know if you're a North London man but in East Finchley there's a great 2nd hand record shop, Alans. Let me know if you want the address.

Yes Peter! I'm miles off North London but when I visit my mrs' cousin I might have chance to drop in, where is it?

London's full of great record stores, Soho especially, and then there's Beano's in Croydon...

Hopefully they're all still there!

Yes Peter! I'm miles off North London but when I visit my mrs' cousin I might have chance to drop in, where is it?

London's full of great record stores, Soho especially, and then there's Beano's in Croydon...

Hopefully they're all still there!
It's East Finchley on the main road, about a mile and a half from the tube. PM me when you think you may be around and I'll send you the exact address.

If you think this is bad, count yourself lucky it's not another one of her poems...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom