Alain Whyte's band, Stadium, play 'This Charming Man', interview - SoundCheck Live

Comment from Alain : "Been getting asked what Morrissey song did we do. This is the track we covered. Sounds pretty great considering it is live and not our own back line. The amps belonged to the Lucky Strike house band who are red hot. Please share and let everyone know. We will be playing really soon so keep a eye out for Stadium."

Also, an interview at the link posted by Jimmy / Facebook:

SoundCheck Live at Lucky Strike Hollywood with Stadium - KTLA 5

Last edited by a moderator:
they do sound great, i think. dont love the singers movements though.

More quotes from Alain on that same thread on Facebook:

• "Backstage I was playing all Smiths songs. I know a lot of them and I can work it out if I really need to learn them. Johnny is a great guitar player."
  • "I remember Moz asking us to learn Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want in a punky way based on a Muse cover interpretation. It sucked and never got off the ground."
  • " I've got Back To The Old House down like Hatfull"
  • "Gaz is the best bass player for Morrissey hands down"
  • Re Dagenham Dave "That song is a structure nightmare Hahahaha I got too clever for my own good"
  • "Hey guys lets not diss Jesse he's a good player and there's no hard feelings."
  • Re question: "I'm curious to know what Johnny Marr's favorite Alain Whyte song is?" - Answer ... "His favorite Morrissey solo song is Ouija Board unfortunately I never wrote it. :( Hahahaha - I know because he told me and he asked if I wrote it"
  • Re question: "What's your finest moment to date playing live?" - Answer ... "Great question. Hmmm I remember a gig with Morrissey in Ventura and the sound was just unbelievable. I'm enjoying playing in this band as its so much fun and the guys are great and humble. No egos. Hollywood Bowl in 92 during Seasick Yet Still Docked everyone holding up fluorescent tubes in the air. It was like a sea of stars. I'll never ever forget that moment. True magic."
  • "Southpaw was live one take no room for errors. I think I did all the guitars on that track"
And it is Mikey Farrell on keyboards.

Look how smooth Alain plays this compared to the current guy - good singer too!

Jesse doesn't play the original guitar part, just chords. In spite of telling us to lay off Jesse, can't help wondering if part of the point of the video is to prove a point.

Jesse doesn't play the original guitar part, just chords. In spite of telling us to lay off Jesse, can't help wondering if part of the point of the video is to prove a point.

I think him playing chords is more along the lines of him trying to punk it up like he asked Alain to do with please please. Someone once said it was supposed to sound like a cover death cab did. Imagine between him and box they can play the song

It is nice to see Alain again - came across as humble and genuine the few times we met.
He clearly has a good ear for a melody - as demonstrated even in his Johnny Panic days.
Best of luck to him.
Anyone know how his recent auctions went?
Regards,
FWD

This is about my least favorite Smiths song so maybe I'm not a good judge but... no, thank you. I love Alain's songs and guitar work but I didn't like this singer and couldn't listen for more than two lines.

Good gosh, are you serious? This is awful! Alain is a top man, but this is bloody awful.

I watched the whole thing and I think the band was great. I got a Dave Gahan vibe from the lead singer. The only thing this song could have used is....more cowbell!!! ;)

I love Alain and am glad to see him happy doing what he loves most. Moz, please send a fax at once!

Alain may just be my favorite songwriter Morrissey has ever worked with, including Johnny Marr. First I've heard of Stadium. What is this? A live cover band only type deal, like Peter Hook and The Light, or will he be writing new songs?

Singer does have some very Bono-like moves, I'd have been interested in hearing Alain sing. I've always really liked his voice.

Alain said, "Gaz is the best bass player for Morrissey hands down."

Gaz was great for The Lads but I think Jonny Bridgewood still ranks a little higher for sheer musicality and technical abilities. His bass in Boxers gets me every time.

I agree Rifke. I like the musicianship on this and the singers voice is really good but his 'movements' are terrible cliched dad rock. I'm listening again without looking at the video and its much better, LOL.

Yes. I actually think the singer has a pretty good "80s" voice, in the vein of Jim Kerr. But he's overcompensating with the "performance". Ditch all that and it'll be fine.

Alain's melodic playing is effortless. Still miss seeing him to Moz's left. And having Mikey on keys reminded me of how great the Quarry era actually was when it was Deano on drums (after he improved greatly), Mikey, and three of the four original Lads...

I agree Rifke. I like the musicianship on this and the singers voice is really good but his 'movements' are terrible cliched dad rock. I'm listening again without looking at the video and its much better, LOL.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom