Alain Whyte: "The Never Played Symphonies" - Safe At Home Sessions (June 26, 2020)

Day 47
First thing's first. Just wanted to take a minute to say a heartfelt thank you to every one of you that has showed up for all or even just some of these #SafeAtHome sessions vids. It's been amazing connecting with all of you during what has been, at best, a very trying time for many. You've helped me personally with all of your kind words, love and support the last couple of months, especially and it has been my sincere pleasure to share these songs with you. I hope it's been mutual and you were/are able to take something positive away from this in some way. Love to you all
❤️

Also, would like to say that while these sessions are going on hiatus, there is something just around the corner that is pretty exciting and will be shared asap. So, don't go too far!
Lastly and most importantly, I wanted to mention the following. This is a special song and as such has a special dedication attached. This song is my mum's favorite ever co-write I did with Morrissey and is dedicated to her. I love you mum
❤️

This song is The Never Played Symphonies

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Symphonies is perhaps the B-side that most frustrates me by its absence from a studio album.

I’d swap You Know I couldn’t Last for Symphonies in a heartbeat.

Symphonies is perhaps the B-side that most frustrates me by its absence from a studio album.

I’d swap You Know I couldn’t Last for Symphonies in a heartbeat.

Exactly, or "America is not the World" which is dreadful. Putting a masterpiece out as a B-side - that perverse Moz tradition.

I agree with this actually, but I don't see how that excludes the loss of Johnny and the band at all. The song isn't looking forward, it's looking back at his life. He explicitly says that he 'can't see' any of the worthwhile things that might have been (people who tried to love him (partners) etc) - only the things and that slipped through his fingers. I don't disagree with your view, I just don't see how it excludes the loss of Johnny at all. The kiss on the cheek - to me, that shows it's not about a partner.

Ok well we do agree it’s not entirely about Marr though, I hope?

I believe it’s a conglomeration of people in his life.

the lines ...

And you jumped into my face and laughed
And kissed me on the cheek
And then were gone forever not quite

Is actually about me jumping up on stage !

:p :cool:

Ok well we do agree it’s not entirely about Marr though, I hope?

I believe it’s a conglomeration of people in his life.
the lines ...

And you jumped into my face and laughed
And kissed me on the cheek
And then were gone forever not quite

Is actually about me jumping up on stage,etc !

:p :cool:

Well, Marr being one amongst others that have been lost, I think. The other person who comes to my mind, for some reason, is Kirsty. She passed away in 2000, only a couple of years before the song was written - such a talent and true friend to both Moz and Johnny.

Kirsty.jpg

Kirsty 2.jpg

I don’t believe it’s about one particular person. And the ‘Symphonies’ is not about music.

‘Never played symphonies’ = life/love experiences that will never happen to him and his acceptance of that.
Completely agree. The "Symphonies" are not songs, they're people.
I always interpreted the lines:

"all I can see are the never-laid
that's the never-played symphonies
I can't see those who tried to love me
or those who felt they understood me
and I can't see those who
very patiently
put up with me"

that way. He never appreciated the people he did have in his life (be it lovers or partners or friends) but can only see the ones he didn't get or couldn't have or didn't meet.

And I think the next lines are indeed about fans and other people who tried to get into his life but didn't make it. (you meant to be one/and you jumped into my face/and laughed and kissed me on the cheek/and then were gone/forever? ... not quite).

It's all about missed opportunities. And that doesn't exclude Marr of course, but I don't think it's specifically about him and The Smiths. Morrissey has always taken extreme pride in his solo career, I don't think he'd look back at his life and only see the songs he didn't get to write with Johnny.

Really? Looking back on his life, he imagines all the 'symphonies' which might have been played had somebody not 'slipped through his fingers'. Somebody who burst into his life out of the blue, platonically

?

:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: couldnt write symphony even if you dunked wig first in a bathtub FFS:lbf:
he had but that one dumb guitar:guitar: clacky riff. just slap it on 20 tracks and you have your 20 so called LePew 'symphonies':lbf:

Exactly, or "America is not the World" which is dreadful. Putting a masterpiece out as a B-side - that perverse Moz tradition.
Quarry: when it’s good it’s brilliant, when it’s bad it’s awful.
?

:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: couldnt write symphony even if you dunked wig first in a bathtub FFS:lbf:
he had but that one dumb guitar:guitar: clacky riff. just slap it on 20 tracks and you have your 20 so called LePew 'symphonies':lbf:
“one dumb guitar:guitar: clacky riff.”

I have to say, if you wrote for Mojo I’d probably still be buying it.

It's a flipping gorgeous song. Alain's mum's favourite evidently. But not a great version. He hasn't got the singing quite right. I think The Loop is Alain's best acoustic effort. Awesome dude!

?

We've now got 2 trolls - your Johnny nonsense and another guy who thinks Jesse, the crème de la crap, shits gold - can you two just troll each other forever in your alternate reality and leave the normal discussions alone?

We've now got 2 trolls - your Johnny nonsense and another guy who thinks Jesse, the crème de la crap, shits gold - can you two just troll each other forever in your alternate reality and leave the normal discussions alone?
We’re overdue a troll who rates I Bury the Living higher than anything on Vauxhall.

We’re overdue a troll who rates I Bury the Living higher than anything on Vauxhall.

Yup. I also missed out the notorious Andy Rourke stalker we used to have, the delusional Blue Rose idiot and the unfunny California troll, innit innit innit mate. Eventually we will get someone who thinks Craig Gannon was the hidden genius of the Smiths.

Yup. I also missed out the notorious Andy Rourke stalker we used to have, the delusional Blue Rose idiot and the unfunny California troll, innit innit innit mate. Eventually we will get someone who thinks Craig Gannon was the hidden genius of the Smiths.

?

JFC who you used to sing Jesse song on the tube with the kid Moz fans, this is know by everyone.
whos the troll now???:lbf:

?

my LePew nonsense WTF???:lbf:

the only thing LePew has in common
with a symphony is that Mozart wore a wig too FFS.:rolleyes:

Well, Marr being one amongst others that have been lost, I think. The other person who comes to my mind, for some reason, is Kirsty. She passed away in 2000, only a couple of years before the song was written - such a talent and true friend to both Moz and Johnny.

View attachment 57314

View attachment 57315
You are obviously a huge Johnny Marr fan. I'm guessing that you have spent your hard earned money seeing Johnny Marr live many times, bought his music both the recent music and the back catalogue, bought his marchandise and maybe even met him and maybe got his autograph.

I can tell that you really love and adore Johnny Marr by the way you talk about him. You have shown dedication to Johnny Marr financially in the money you have spent and the time and energy you put in on the internet and in real life.

I don't understand though why you put other people down because they are fans of Morrissey. Morrissey as a solo artist and his current band might not be your sort of thing, but why put others down who like Morrissey as a solo artist and his currant band.

I appreciate you like The Smiths as a group because Johnny Marr played lead guitar in the group, wrote the music and so on. You forget that Morrissey was also in The Smiths and was the lead singer and frontman, wrote the lyrics and so on.

Kirsty MacColl was a wonderful lady and a great talent it is very tragic what happened to her. I believe that if Kirsty MacColl was still alive she would do everything she could to defend Morrissey. I believe that Kirsty MacColl would take Morrissey's side rather than Billy Bragg's side. I think that it is sad that Johnny Marr hasn't done much to defend or support Morrissey in recent years that must be hurtful to Morrissey.

You remind me of another young girl Claire who was a big Johnny Marr fan. I'm guessing that you are a lot younger than Johnny Marr, you seem to look up to Johnny Marr for guidance and maybe you see him as a father figure and a hero.

You are obviously a huge Johnny Marr fan. I'm guessing that you have spent your hard earned money seeing Johnny Marr live many times, bought his music both the recent music and the back catalogue, bought his marchandise and maybe even met him and maybe got his autograph.

I can tell that you really love and adore Johnny Marr by the way you talk about him. You have shown dedication to Johnny Marr financially in the money you have spent and the time and energy you put in on the internet and in real life.

I don't understand though why you put other people down because they are fans of Morrissey. Morrissey as a solo artist and his current band might not be your sort of thing, but why put others down who like Morrissey as a solo artist and his currant band.

I appreciate you like The Smiths as a group because Johnny Marr played lead guitar in the group, wrote the music and so on. You forget that Morrissey was also in The Smiths and was the lead singer and frontman, wrote the lyrics and so on.

Kirsty MacColl was a wonderful lady and a great talent it is very tragic what happened to her. I believe that if Kirsty MacColl was still alive she would do everything she could to defend Morrissey. I believe that Kirsty MacColl would take Morrissey's side rather than Billy Bragg's side. I think that it is sad that Johnny Marr hasn't done much to defend or support Morrissey in recent years that must be hurtful to Morrissey.

You remind me of another young girl Claire who was a big Johnny Marr fan. I'm guessing that you are a lot younger than Johnny Marr, you seem to look up to Johnny Marr for guidance and maybe you see him as a father figure and a hero.

The way this post is written sets alarm bells ringing for me. You are 'Andy I'.

I have followed Morrissey's career for a long time and through various versions of his solo band - I praise and buy what I enjoy, I criticise what I think is crap. As everyone else does. If that's supposed to mean that I can't call out Tobias for the excuse of a musician he is, well, no can do.

As for Johnny - of course I love him; he 'unearthed' Morrissey and pushed him from his box room out into the world, he built The Smiths. He's not my father figure - what a strange comment.

Last edited:
As for Johnny - of course I love him; he 'unearthed' Morrissey and pushed him from his box room out into the world, he built The Smiths. He's not my father figure - what a strange comment.
Morrissey hasn't worked professionally with Johnny Marr since he was in The Smiths back in the 1980s this might of been before you were born. I much prefer Morrissey as a solo artist after he left The Smiths. Morrissey himself said only a couple of years ago that he can't listen to The Smiths' music anymore because of all the bad feelings.

Morrissey's music is always very high quality! Nothing Morrissey has done musically is bad. Morrissey is incredibly talented and gifted. Morrissey also doesn't have a bad bone in his body. I think that you misunderstand him and what he is trying to convey.

I'm sorry that you found my comment about you seeing Johnny Marr as a father figure strange. I just thought that because you are so much younger than Johnny Marr you were maybe looking for a father figure and a hero. I'm guessing that Johnny Marr is old enough to be your father.

I think that you are a sweet, very sensitive, soft, kind young girl but you seem naive. You also seem to have a vulnerability and frailty about you. You remind me of another young huge Johnny Marr superfan Claire.

I believe that there is room for everyone on this website dedicated Morrissey fans and also dedicated Johnny Marr fans like yourself. I wonder if you have ever met Johnny Marr and maybe had your picture taken with him and got his autograph. If you haven't then I think that one day you should as Johnny Marr is always happy to meet his fans. If you have the time, energy and money when the Coronavirus crisis is over you could maybe try and see Johnny Marr live in concert I'm sure that you would be very welcome at his gigs.

Jesse Tobias is an amazing guitarist and a great person he is the lead guitarist and co-writer for Morrissey. I think that the band Morrissey currently has is the best band he has ever had!

Alain's mum sounds a lot cooler than Steven's mum.
...More tender-hearted than Business Betty, perhaps...

-Wha? Just saying.

Morrissey hasn't worked professionally with Johnny Marr since he was in The Smiths back in the 1980s this might of been before you were born. I much prefer Morrissey as a solo artist after he left The Smiths. Morrissey himself said only a couple of years ago that he can't listen to The Smiths' music anymore because of all the bad feelings.

Morrissey's music is always very high quality! Nothing Morrissey has done musically is bad. Morrissey is incredibly talented and gifted. Morrissey also doesn't have a bad bone in his body. I think that you misunderstand him and what he is trying to convey.

I'm sorry that you found my comment about you seeing Johnny Marr as a father figure strange. I just thought that because you are so much younger than Johnny Marr you were maybe looking for a father figure and a hero. I'm guessing that Johnny Marr is old enough to be your father.

I think that you are a sweet, very sensitive, soft, kind young girl but you seem naive. You also seem to have a vulnerability and frailty about you. You remind me of another young huge Johnny Marr superfan Claire.

I believe that there is room for everyone on this website dedicated Morrissey fans and also dedicated Johnny Marr fans like yourself. I wonder if you have ever met Johnny Marr and maybe had your picture taken with him and got his autograph. If you haven't then I think that one day you should as Johnny Marr is always happy to meet his fans. If you have the time, energy and money when the Coronavirus crisis is over you could maybe try and see Johnny Marr live in concert I'm sure that you would be very welcome at his gigs.

Jesse Tobias is an amazing guitarist and a great person he is the lead guitarist and co-writer for Morrissey. I think that the band Morrissey currently has is the best band he has ever had!

yes, :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: is a father figure to these annoying troll twats.?
they BUY LePews autograph!!!!! they keep him in wigs FFS
what a disgrace.:(

normal peeps would require payment in order to have a LePew
autograph which has no value whatsoever and only takes up space.:rolleyes:

sensitive camera would explode?
if you attempt to photograph :handpointup:
and the Pewish father figure.:lbf:

Where is the sanest day of them all, the great AztecCamera? His truth and knowledge is missed during these dark times.

Not at all - I don't think this song could be more obvious if it tried. Why wouldn't Moz look back at the Smiths split as he reviews his whole life - 'the riches... the ditches and the flat grey years in-between'? Why else refer to 'symphonies' and someone who disappeared? It's no stretch.

It could be a lot more obvious.

For example:

1. 'You were one, Johnny Marr, you were meant to be one'

2. You were one, Jake Walters, you were meant to be one'

3. You were one, Kirsty McColl, you were meant to be one'

The song could've been a lot more obvious.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom