Alain Whyte: "The Never Played Symphonies" - Safe At Home Sessions (June 26, 2020)

Day 47
First thing's first. Just wanted to take a minute to say a heartfelt thank you to every one of you that has showed up for all or even just some of these #SafeAtHome sessions vids. It's been amazing connecting with all of you during what has been, at best, a very trying time for many. You've helped me personally with all of your kind words, love and support the last couple of months, especially and it has been my sincere pleasure to share these songs with you. I hope it's been mutual and you were/are able to take something positive away from this in some way. Love to you all
❤️

Also, would like to say that while these sessions are going on hiatus, there is something just around the corner that is pretty exciting and will be shared asap. So, don't go too far!
Lastly and most importantly, I wanted to mention the following. This is a special song and as such has a special dedication attached. This song is my mum's favorite ever co-write I did with Morrissey and is dedicated to her. I love you mum
❤️

This song is The Never Played Symphonies

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Is there a list or summary of them all?

Reflecting from my deathbed
I'm balancing life's riches against the ditches
And the flat gray years in between
All I can see are the never-laid
That's the never-played symphonies

I can't see those who tried to love me
All those who felt they understood me
And I can't see those who very patiently put up with me
Or the never-played symphonies

You were one, you meant to be one
And you jumped into my face and laughed
And kissed me on the cheek
And then were gone forever not quite

Black sky in the daytime
And I don't much mind dying
When there is nothing left to care for anymore
Just the never-laid, the never-played symphonies

You were one, you knew you were one
And you slipped right through my fingers
No not literally but metaphorically
And now you're all, I see as the light fades

Reflecting from my deathbed
I'm balancing life's riches against the ditches
And the flat gray years in between
That's the never-played symphonies

I can't see those who tried to love me
All those who felt they understood me
And I can't see those who very patiently put up with me
Or the never-played symphonies

You were one, you meant to be one
And you jumped into my face and laughed
And kissed me on the cheek
And then were gone forever not quite

Black sky in the daytime
And I don't much mind dying
When there is nothing left to care for anymore
Just the never-laid, the never-played symphonies

You were one, you knew you were one
And you slipped right through my fingers
No not literally but metaphorically
And now you're all, I see as the light fades

How will we ever work out who this person is!!! Thousands of people have chucked themselves at him over the years!

“And you slipped right through my fingers
No not literally but metaphorically”

Did anyone else wince when they first heard these lines? A blemish on an otherwise perfect song, I feel.

Did anyone else wince when they first heard these lines? A blemish on an otherwise perfect song, I feel.
Each to their own taste, but I love that line, -- a little bit of Morrissey humor in a seriously beautiful song, and it always makes me smile. I've never gotten to hear this song live, but still hope to someday.

I thought it was quite funny - there he is being all sincere & maudlin & then he puts in a joke. It is a wee bit clunky.

He could wildly shift tone in the same syllable when he was in his 20s & it would be seamless - time & misery takes its toll.

I thought it was quite funny - there he is being all sincere & maudlin & then he puts in a joke. It is a wee bit clunky.

He could wildly shift tone in the same syllable when he was in his 20s & it would be seamless - time & misery takes its toll.
On which note, when Starmer next phones you can you please remind him that two wrongs don’t make a right.

An awful line. They should have cut the song after the penultimate chorus. Best Quarry b-side, though.

A great and unexpected end to SAHS. This was the best of a number of great YATQ b sides at what must now be regarded as the high point of Moz’s career. Can only hope Alain’s big news is a reunion of some sort!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom