Alain Whyte: Nobody Loves Us - Safe At Home Sessions (June 23, 2020)

20200624_012447.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
If you really think "Sorry Doesn't Help" and "I Bury The Living" are in the same league with "Boxers" and "Tomorrow," you simply don't understand music.
That battle is slightly unfair...

“Compare the best of their days
With the worst of your days“

I find it strange that Morrissey is happy to excel as a vocalist, and nothing else. I thought he was in love with music. I thought that was his forte, not just singing lyrics. Although he did say at one point that he feels his words don't really matter anymore, it's all about the intonation and vocal melody. I think, by chance, he happened to meet a talented guitarist in Marr, and it suited his technique. He's always liked quirky music such as Sparks and Bowie. He just happened to team up with a man who wrote gorgeous tunes, and to Morrissey, that was a bonus. Probably not essential, but it lent itself to a gravitas that elevated his whole band and the musicians he chose to work with to another plane. The Smiths were a happy accident for Morrissey, but, by god, what a lasting one.
He’s not just a vocalist, he has to be Morrissey too. It’s a lifetime’s work. But who better to do it?

If you really think "Sorry Doesn't Help" and "I Bury The Living" are in the same league with "Boxers" and "Tomorrow," you simply don't understand music.

The music for Boxers has been written a thousand times before and Tomorrow was Eton Rifles with different lyrics. Alain got away with murder, rehashing a potpourri of The Who, The Jam, The Smiths, and Oasis. It was Morrissey who made those songs special.

Regardless of what the know nothings on here have to say, these 5 Jesse co-writes on the latest LP are among Morrissey's best, and all way beyond Alain's limited abilities.

Jim Jim Falls
What Kind Of People Live In these Houses?
Knockabout World
Once I Saw The River Clean
My Hurling Days Are Done

I posted this yesterday on a dead thread. Anyone have any thoughts?

There's something quite pitiful about these renditions now.

Were they party pieces he pulled out to entertain his friends that would be fine, likewise if he was standing on the high street trying to earn dollars to feed his family, but the earnestness, and the pleading tone of voice and expressions all aimed squarely at Morrissey, are extremely uncomfortable to witness.

Alain pretended to leave Morrissey's employ hoping that his bluff wouldn't be called. It was a clumsy attempt to extort more money out of his employer. He thought he had Morrissey over a barrel as a tour had been booked to promote You Are The Quarry and he thought he was irreplaceable under the circumstances. He gambled and lost, and instead of playing Arenas and large venues around the world to thousands of adoring fans, here he is, the very picture of a delusional has-been.

The truth is Alain never knew his place. He was always trying to shove himself forward onstage, concentrating on posing rather than playing, seemingly unable to fathom that it was Morrissey who everyone had come to see.

His gripes over money, along with his refusal to wear the stage clothes his employer had provided for future live appearances, had him lay down ultimatums, which have led him to this sorry, ignoble end.

He has only himself to blame.
'Never knew his place? Refused to wear the clothes his employer wanted him to wear?' Moz isn't the center of the universe. He's a man. Alain was right to stand up for himself. Like when Moz wanted them to wear speedos for the Certain People I Know video. Ridiculous shite. Everyone knows the band were paid SFA for the sell-out Kill Uncle tour. I don't suppose they've ever been well paid, but that's a guess.

'He only has himself to blame'. You have some nerve talking about Alain like that. The whole tone of your post was prickish. Alain hasn't come to a 'sorry ignoble end'. He's probably a lot happier and a lot less hated than Moz. How you can totally piss all over a man who gave us some of Moz's best songs is beyond me. Your comments are completely uncalled for and ignorant.

They seem a bit pathetic to me too, which is a strange reaction because I have such affection for Alain and I'd love to see him back. It also makes no sense - I enjoy Johnny's versions of Smiths songs, so why should I feel sad about this?

I can't put my finger on it. The whole thing just looks as though Alain hasn't been able to move on - despite writing for lots of other artists after Morrissey.
Isn't a musician allowed to play their own songs or songs they love. It doesn't seem pathetic or sad to me. You know nothing about Alain, no more than I do. He's done stuff with his own band. He probably has a family (I'm guessing). He plays a few 'Moz' songs and people can't just enjoy them.

That battle is slightly unfair...

“Compare the best of their days
With the worst of your days“

I know, but the poster I replied to was intentionally nitpicking Alain's weaker efforts which is why i made sure to highlight Jesse's bland offerings. I'd still take "You Must Please Remember" over "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy," though. ;)

Is this Alain-Solo?

I can’t be bothered.

I WANT THE BOBBY DANCE REMIX AND I WANT IT NOW!!!

After the Smiths, Morrissey made a choice to recruit amateurs and people who were of a lower calibre than the established musicians he could have had - we all know this. Autobio made it clear that he sometimes lamented their lack of ability but ultimately he wanted it that way. Maybe he was just realistic in thinking that you don't get two of Johnny Marr in one career, so you pick someone good who fits in and that's enough. Nobody could ever fill Marr's shoes but Alain didn't do a bad job at all. If you're baying for the blood of crappy solo musicians, there are far worthier targets.

It’s curious why? After working with greats like Vini and Paresi, then on Uncle which was more like working with session musicians, he really desired to have a band first, and to find someone that he could actually write with seemed to come second, as if an afterthought. The fact that Boz and Alain (especially) could also write music was a plus.

And why would he work with basically unknowns ? Maybe easier to control
and deal with compared to professional seasoned musicians who have attitudes, are jaded or have too many ideas of their own. Better to work with someone who is hungry
and willing.

Just some thoughts on it.

I know it's been slow news here for a while, but these vids went from charming to pathetic and sycophantic a good while ago. Write some of your own tunes, and quit swimming after Morrissey like a f***ing greaser Remora fish.

I know it's been slow news here for a while, but these vids went from charming to pathetic and sycophantic a good while ago. Write some of your own tunes, and quit swimming after Morrissey like a f***ing greaser Remora fish.

and quit swimming after Morrissey like a f***ing greaser Remora fish.’

and good advice for the Moz haters that come to Solo.

:thumb:

It’s curious why? After working with greats like Vini and Paresi, then on Uncle which was more like working with session musicians, he really desired to have a band first, and to find someone that he could actually write with seemed to come second, as if an afterthought. The fact that Boz and Alain (especially) could also write music was a plus.

and deal with compared to professional seasoned musicians who have attitudes, are jaded or have too many ideas of their own. Better to work with someone who is hungry
and willing.

The answer might be very simple: he liked the way they looked. Moz puts a lot of emphasis on style and looks. His biggest regret about Maladjusted was the cover, when maybe it should have been that half the songs weren't up to his usual standards. He likes Mexicans because they have "great hair and teeth".Moz can be just as superficial as the rest of us.

The answer might be very simple: he liked the way they looked. Moz puts a lot of emphasis on style and looks. His biggest regret about Maladjusted was the cover, when maybe it should have been that half the songs weren't up to his usual standards. He likes Mexicans because they have "great hair and teeth".Moz can be just as superficial as the rest of us.
After all, he has 'incredibly good taste'.

Oh what tedious things we all do bicker about on here...... from world peace deluxe to dog on a chain .... without doubt morrisseys greatest output since viva .... I love it all . Rejoice , rejoice, rejoice... stop being pussys and swines enjoy, Love and always live the music of mozzer... VIVA MORRISSEY

Isn't a musician allowed to play their own songs or songs they love. It doesn't seem pathetic or sad to me. You know nothing about Alain, no more than I do. He's done stuff with his own band. He probably has a family (I'm guessing). He plays a few 'Moz' songs and people can't just enjoy them.

Well, of course they are. I said that my reaction didn't make logical sense and perhaps it doesn't, but it's how I feel anyway.

and willing.

Yep, I think you've answered your own question there. He seemed to want a clean break from the Smiths and maybe working with unknowns was one way to do that - a blank canvas to create a new image etc, with no real risk that the musicians would dim his star or be poached away by Bryan Ferry.

The music for Boxers has been written a thousand times before and Tomorrow was Eton Rifles with different lyrics. Alain got away with murder, rehashing a potpourri of The Who, The Jam, The Smiths, and Oasis. It was Morrissey who made those songs special.

Regardless of what the know nothings on here have to say, these 5 Jesse co-writes on the latest LP are among Morrissey's best, and all way beyond Alain's limited abilities.

Jim Jim Falls
Knockabout World
My Hurling Days Are Done

Michael Daly also co-wrote some of those songs with Jesse for Morrissey. Daly is (or was) credited when the album's songwriting credits were first revealed earlier this year. Just how much he contributed we don't know for sure, but is it any coincidence that Jesse's best co-writes come when another person also contributes to his songwriting? I mean, it's not like Jesse was crafting Jim Jim Falls and Once I Saw The River Clean's during the past fifteen years working with Morrissey...

Jim Jim Falls
Knockabout World
My Hurling Days Are Done
This is a worse troll post than the white nationalist shit that goes around the forums.

Last edited:
This is a worse troll post than the white nationalist shit that goes around the forums.
What are you on about? Have wee listen to the music Verso cited. He’s spot on with that comment. Pull your head out of Melvis’ anus and clean the shit from your ears, Rudy.

His gripes over money, along with his refusal to wear the stage clothes his employer had provided for future live appearances, had him lay down ultimatums, which have led him to this sorry, ignoble end.

Frankly, I'm glad Alain had the dignity to walk before being subjected to the indignity of going on stage wearing only speedos, with marker pen messages scrawled on his chest by his 'employer'. Neither Morrissey or his remaining band of trained chimps came out of that period looking well.

What are you on about? Have wee listen to the music Verso cited. He’s spot on with that comment. Pull your head out of Melvis’ anus and clean the shit from your ears, Rudy.
Tobias hasn’t written a single good song for Moz. Absolute hack of the highest order.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom