A thread for those who are indifferent towards WPINOYB

Iloveopiates

I thought I would start a specific thread so those indifferent to the new album could voice their opinions.

I'll start with myself.

I am a huge fan, I want to love this album, I really do. I've listened about 15 times now and it really isn't growing. For myself anyways, no Morrissey album has ever needed time to grow. I have always instantly loved them, even the last album Refusal, which I know gets a lot of negative comments.

Here goes:

I just don't get how everyone is loving this album so much. Ya, I get it,its a bold statement musically after the last few records were doing the 70's glam rock meets alt rock distorted energetic guitar thing. But, to me the album is lacking those intense trademark vocal melodies that can sometimes bring on goose bump shiver moments. I've listened at least a dozen times figuring it would grow on me, and still I find it to be just o.k. It certainly is not on par with anything else in his catalog. Even though Kill Uncle had the cringe worthy arrangements and instrumentation I think the songs themselves along with their vocal melodies were decent enough,and certainly better than most on this new album. Perhaps,had Kill Uncle been recorded like any of the 90's albums that followed it, maybe it too would be regarded as a classic instead of the bump in the road reputation amongst the other albums it always gets?

To sum it up. I'm just not hearing those hit you in the chest melodies. Then there is the slight decline in the quality of the lyrics,which even the album lovers would probably agree with me on some level with that one? And I can deal with a decline in the lyric department provided there are knock your socks off outstanding melodies and not just average ones. What can I say other than,I have always been chuffed with every release, even the b-sides. I'm just missing and not hearing those trademark gorgeous vocal melody hooks that made me become such a huge fan in the first place.

There is an expression that goes something like, "You can't always hit a home run out of the park".

Re: A thread for those who are indifferent towards the new album WPINOYB

My opinion is that a few of the songs could've used a bit more time spent on developing the vocal melodies — "Mountjoy" for certain. He almost has it, and it's just on the brink from being a knock out of the park. But then the first-and-only-take vocal phrasing just mars the otherwise absolutely beautiful lyrics.

I was also a bit let down by "Oboe Concerto" pretty much as a whole. I had read the many reviews posted here before I myself downloaded the album, and I was very excited to hear what was slated to be an absolute 'swansong' as it's been described. But a really pedestrian, circular melody and general throwaway lyrics really cripple an opportunity to close out a majestically-produced album on the right note.

I'd hate to come off as a naysayer about this album by any means — there are more parts of it than nought that excite me greatly.
It's beyond me why "Art Hounds" didn't make the official album; could've easily made up for the rather bland song idea that to me is "Staircase at the University."

Wow our opinions for this album pose quite the conundrum don't they? @mcrickson While I respect your opinion and gifted description of why you have it - I couldn't disagree more. I think Mountjoy and Oboe Concerto are the best tracks on the album. I feel "the magic" when I hear these songs. To the point of tears a few times. Mountjoy just soars for me. It touches on emotions almost subconsciously that take me back to places and times I had forgotten. I feel the natural dingy rough cut vibe compliments the many themes of the song. Oboe Concerto - wow, it just incapsulates Morrissey and how he can still move us at 55.
He speaks of how we will all feel one day to a hauntingly beautiful melody.
They say so much to me about my life..

Wow our opinions for this album pose quite the conundrum don't they? @mcrickson While I respect your opinion and gifted description of why you have it - I couldn't disagree more. I think Mountjoy and Oboe Concerto are the best tracks on the album. I feel "the magic" when I hear these songs. To the point of tears a few times. Mountjoy just soars for me. It touches on emotions almost subconsciously that take me back to places and times I had forgotten. I feel the natural dingy rough cut vibe compliments the many themes of the song. Oboe Concerto - wow, it just incapsulates Morrissey and how he can still move us at 55.
He speaks of how we will all feel one day to a hauntingly beautiful melody.
They say so much to me about my life..

Really my only problem with "Mountjoy" is his vocal phrasing.
"I was sent here bya" in particular makes me cringe; it's not the lyrics, or even really the melody — it's just the timing he chose to place them.

That's so interesting - that's the phrasing that I love in the song lol
I do always enjoy your posts whether I agree or not

I agree about Art hounds making the actual album. That is one song that I think would have benefited from the heavier guitar stylings of the last few albums. I also think Action is my middle name should have at least made the deluxe version. Along with Scandinavia,Action was among the better of those more recent unreleased tracks. Speaking of those tracks,having played them as many times as they have live, I'm sure it would have been a breeze for the band to run through and record them. There is a good chance they maybe did recorded them during the World Peace sessions? I'm guessing if we end up with a Deluxe,Deluxe version (as in the past), maybe we will see proper studio versions of those other unreleased tracks?

Worst title of any of his albums.
Shit cover art
Shockingly poor lyrics
Weak melodies and very few memorable hooks
All sound and fury, signifying nothing. Dislocation between vocals and music, as if Morrissey submitted a handful of hastily sketched sub-poems and the band and producer threw the kitchen sink at them.
A nasty whiff of misanthropy, misogyny and hectoring boorishness. .
Bloated deluxe version which just serves to confuse the album's identity.

Shit cover art
Shockingly poor lyrics
All sound and fury, signifying nothing. Dislocation between vocals and music, as if Morrissey submitted a handful of hastily sketched sub-poems and the band and producer threw the kitchen sink at them.

Agreed. Far and away the worst cover and title. The lyrics on Bullfighter and I'm Not A Man alone are enough to make King Leer look like Now My Heart Is Full. This doesn't sound like an album. It sounds like a bunch of demos and album tracks. Nothing about this record sounds like a finished, cohesive product. I give credit to Staircase for being ok. Musically I LIKE that the band is trying new things but...they just aren't very good. I've been a fan since 1990 and wanted to love this. I got it weeks early and said repeatedly to any and all that it didn't sound finished. I wish him nothing but the best and am glad he is getting (amazingly enough) good reviews. I know he needs that validation. I'd also heard through a friend of a friend of...that he wasn't happy with the album. He completed it. He thought it was fine. A few months went by, he wasn't happy. Just what I heard. Makes sense though doesn't it?

Agreed. Far and away the worst cover and title. The lyrics on Bullfighter and I'm Not A Man alone are enough to make King Leer look like Now My Heart Is Full. This doesn't sound like an album. It sounds like a bunch of demos and album tracks. Nothing about this record sounds like a finished, cohesive product. I give credit to Staircase for being ok. Musically I LIKE that the band is trying new things but...they just aren't very good. I've been a fan since 1990 and wanted to love this. I got it weeks early and said repeatedly to any and all that it didn't sound finished. I wish him nothing but the best and am glad he is getting (amazingly enough) good reviews. I know he needs that validation. I'd also heard through a friend of a friend of...that he wasn't happy with the album. He completed it. He thought it was fine. A few months went by, he wasn't happy. Just what I heard. Makes sense though doesn't it?

What you heard from a friend of a friend who supposedly has an ear close to Morrissey stating he isn't happy with the album?

That's supposed to makes sense?

I'd also heard through a friend of a friend of...that he wasn't happy with the album. He completed it. He thought it was fine. A few months went by, he wasn't happy. Just what I heard. Makes sense though doesn't it?

He was so unhappy with it that he decided to have his band play note-for-note renditions of songs from the album night after night for a month — introducing still more of the songs along the way — up until the Kristeen Young debacle.

Oh, and I heard from a friend of a friend who was at a show across the street from one of his shows that he looked soooo miserable. But only while singing the new songs.

He was so unhappy with it that he decided to have his band play note-for-note renditions of songs from the album night after night for a month — introducing still more of the songs along the way — up until the Kristeen Young debacle.

Oh, and I heard from a friend of a friend who was at a show across the street from one of his shows that he looked soooo miserable. But only while singing the new songs.

Not to mention that when the album was finished, he was quoted as saying the complete opposite.

I think it has a lot in common with Kill Uncle. It sounds nice, there are some great moments but it lacks hooks and some of the songs don't seem well structured. It's well produced, the musicianship is good, it's almost there, a bit like a whole album of It's Not Your Birthday Anymore. I like it still and may like it more as time wears on and I eventually get the vinyl version instead of having a crappy downloaded cd to listen to. Just that as Morrissey albums go I find it middling rather than at the top end.

I think it has a lot in common with Kill Uncle. It sounds nice, there are some great moments but it lacks hooks and some of the songs don't seem well structured. It's well produced, the musicianship is good, it's almost there, a bit like a whole album of It's Not Your Birthday Anymore. I like it still and may like it more as time wears on and I eventually get the vinyl version instead of having a crappy downloaded cd to listen to. Just that as Morrissey albums go I find it middling rather than at the top end.
Blimey Charles, I haven't heard the thing yet. When is it out?
By the time I get around to listening to it, it'll be a golden oldie!

Blimey Charles, I haven't heard the thing yet. When is it out?
By the time I get around to listening to it, it'll be a golden oldie!

Haha Peter. I downloaded it the other day when I got an email saying the vinyl wasn't going to arrive any time soon. I just thought f*** it, I'm not waiting around forever.

Get it in your ears, it's got some great moments, one or two that made me cringe a bit and one or two that made me laugh out loud. One bit he mentions a high court judge f***ing him over and says he took it on the chin. You've got to laugh.

C'mon back, Anon. Please elaborate on what you heard about Moz not being happy with the album. Just a little?

I am not ambivalent about this album, I rather dislike it. And I truly wish that I could love it. The only track that had a positive effect on me was 'Istanbul'. Maybe more listens will render a few of these tracks more likeable, but some are absolutely unsalvageable. Those that laud this as one of Morrissey's best efforts are truly vexing.

It's by no means a terrible album. It has some really great tracks and Joe C has done a good job. But I am a bit bemused by some of the praise that people are giving it, particularly in comparing it to his work over the last decade. To me, the mid-comeback period is marked by some absolutely exquisite songwriting. I find it really difficult to understand how people can consider songs like Dear God... or All You Need Is Me (I think that could easily be developed into a longer list) and think they are inferior to the stuff on the new album. It just seems to me so obviously wrong. Staircase At the University, for example, which seems to be a big favourite, has such a weak lyric by Morrissey standards. You might be thinking: "Who cares, it's got a great melody and it's really well produced". But if you don't think the songs stand or fall mainly on their lyrics, why have you downloaded a Morrissey album in the first place?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to take the album up an alley and kick it. It just seems to me that it is very obviously not head boy material.

If all I'd heard was the title track, I'd be pretty worried about the album.
It's one of Morrissey's most idiotic and foolish lyrics to date which is saying something, given the generally poor lyrics of is post 2000 material.
However, having heard Istanbul I know there is some great stuff on there. I also think Earth is really good - not spectacular but miles better than the typical album tracks on recent records. Even Bullfighter has a much better tune than most of his 21st century stuff.
And according to fans and critics, none of these is the even best song. So, a very regrettable album title and title track, a pretty rubbish album cover (was funny for about 3 seconds) but sounds like there are some really good songs on there. Bring on Monday!

Shit cover art
Shockingly poor lyrics

Well said. Also all one would have to do is tweak the list slightly in a few spots and we'd be getting pretty close to the last official release, the Morrissey Live 25 video. If Moz ever does decide to actually show up and play more gigs, I really hope he's all done passing the Mic out to the audience.

Last edited:
New Album Sucks Balls

I just listened to the new mp3 album from Morrissey and what crap! I want a refund! 3rd song in i turned it off and i'm not not a fan anymore. I mean, Morrissey goes as far as to insult men that eat steaks...that we are Not A Man if we do so!? Got NEWS for you Moz, your less of a man than we are. Prancing around with your boyfriends meat sticks eating each others summer sausages! Vegan right uh huh...you eat more meat sticks than any meat eater does. Whoofing and Sucking down them man tube steaks! Your less of a man than we will ever be. You're not even vegan if you keep suckin them tube steaks and stuffing your rump roast all the time with sausages. Your new album sucks meatballs!

Back
Top Bottom