A Good Lay

I've been playing 'Morrissey: Best of' album a lot in the car recently which is very good and includes Suedehead. It just seems out of kilter with the way Morrissey often describes love, as desperate yearning, if he would fault the etiquette-breaking besotted more than the expediently-acting self-satisfying object of their desire. Does that make sense?! :confused:

The links when up might make things clearer...or not?

i always thought it was about a one night stand gone awry

The quote from Morrissey was interesting but he’s just not helping us out at all!!

The sneaking into the room, especially if the couple only met once or twice, to read the diaries could feel unforgivably violating, but then again one experiencing the situation as more than a ‘good lay’ may also feel violated and cast aside. Stalking has only become a crime in the past 50 years. If we think of older love stories, like Cyrano de Bergerec, Wuthering Heights, some of Shakespeare’s comedies, including Romeo at Juliet’s window; and also the real-life beginning of Elizabeth’s fated liaison with the poet George Barker by entering into a correspondence with him, pressures out of the ordinary to close in on the beloved are par for the course. There is a parallel to a degree with being a fan, demonstrated I think in the video where Morrissey goes hunting down his own idol ‘lay’-ing in the ground (Jimmy Dean). Did Morrissey have access to Dean’s diaries to write the book about his life all that time ago? I guess he wouldn’t have said no!

I wanted to see the lyric again and on a Moz-dedicated site, I found the nearest interpretation to what I’m intuiting.

“A fine example of Morrissey's by now finely honed single instinct. An extremely strong song for the radio, his debut single shocked many a doom-merchant who had predicted that Mozzer wouldn't be able to hack it outside The Smiths (as Morrissey himself did, once calling the band his "life-support machine").

Probably Stephen Street's finest composition, it is still fresh today. Morrissey once again displays his fine ability for clever lyrics; there are two obvious interpretations to the song. One, that the protagonist truly doesn't want the person under question around, a notion seemingly scuppered by the admission of his many illustrations (of course, there is no indication as to whether the "illustrations" are of a good or bad nature). The other suggestion is that the author very much does want "silly notes" (possibly a reference to one of Morrissey's adolescent classroom habits, communicating with fellow pupils by means of scribbled messages); indeed, the emotions are so strong that they are almost unwelcome; the protagonist could do without the incredible stress of love in his life. This suggestion is borne out by the line "Why do you come here when you know it makes things hard for me ?".

At the end of the song, the author reflects upon the situation with flippant grace, and not a touch of humour.

The title is named after a book by Richard Allen about violent teenagers. This further endorses the interpretations (a "suedehead" is the fashionable equivalent of a skinhead i.e. someone with hair who is just as violent)…“ [unfinished] -
From http://www.oz.net/~moz/lyrics/vivahate/suedehea.htm

The bottom line is that we’re left, as often happens, without enough information, although that ambiguity, I believe, permits enough room for considering more than the superficial central moan.

Cheers one and all! :D

Back
Top Bottom