15 minutes with...Mark Nevin, Morrissey's co-writer on Kill Uncle

Wow. Huge missed opportunity turning down the Kill Uncle tour, but good on him for sticking to his guns. In other news...Morrissey is cripplingly socially awkward, shocker. It sounds like Mark was equally awkward around him so that collaboration was never really going to get off the ground.

Handbags at dawn, ladies. £5 on Peterb to beat the living daylights out of the other two.
Good Christ DD, I'm bound to dissapoint you. I hate these slanging matches. I've just emerged from one with Urban Der Sturmer which was most unpleasant. The only way I could get him off my back was by telling him I'm Sweedish.

Very nice, Peter, thank you. I've never had much of an idea of what Mark Nevin was like.

Interesting to know there was disagreement between him and Clive Langer. Something was definitely amiss on "Kill Uncle". I also laughed when he said the band couldn't play the songs properly in concert (although, to be fair, he saw them in Dublin, which I believe was the very first show of the 1991 tour). Overall, even though Nevin is proud of his work with Morrissey, I got the sense that he pretty much hears the same problems in "Kill Uncle" as everyone else does. The irony here is that they did go in the direction he was hoping to go in-- more guitars-- it's just that they did so without him.

I quite enjoyed it, harmless little read, didn't find out his favourite colour but still.

Hi Ghost long time no see.

Good Christ DD, I'm bound to dissapoint you. I hate these slanging matches. I've just emerged from one with Urban Der Sturmer which was most unpleasant. The only way I could get him off my back was by telling him I'm Sweedish.

Little Ulrika is a harmless creature of little intelligence, I wouldn't worry too much about him. I have every faith you could destroy Viva Morrissey and Uncle Skinny - they haven't shown as much 'pith' round here as you have in recent times.

Julie's blog has a very interesting interview with Mark Nevin.
http://juliehamill.tumblr.com/
P.

This is brilliant, Peter. Many thanks. Fascinating stuff.
One of the biggest downsides of Morrissey choosing to present himself as a solo act post-Smiths is that we hardly ever get to hear about the music that lies beneath the songs (since Morrissey is no musician - and that's according to Morrissey himself before you all jump on me!).
I'm just as interested in the music as I am in the lyrics and the singing but we rarely hear about the technical details coz unlike with the Smiths, Morrissey never does interviews with his songwriting collaborators.
It was great to hear the recent Boz interview in a guitar mag e.g. how and when he wrote the music to Paris, and about how his wife suggested the accordion should be added to Carol.
I would love to read an interview with both Morrissey and Boz together. Hear them talk about their songwriting partnership, their history, and just see how they are together - jokey, matey, awkward etc?
Mark Nevin was a really underrated songwriter. Great to hear the names he gave his compositions before handing them to Morrissey, how he effectively produced the utterly sublime 'I Know It's Gonna Happen' himself, how Moz was keen for him to join the world tour, and how his Kill Uncle compositions were effectively rearranged by Langer and Winstanley.
Thanks again for posting.

Back
Top Bottom