Big Issue / Robin Ince: "You can grow up to be Morrissey or you can grow up to be Johnny Marr – which are you?" (April 30, 2024)

You can grow up to be Morrissey or you can grow up to be Johnny Marr – which are you?

'Usual' article.
FWD.

Robin Ince's Bibliomaniac book advertised in the above Big Issue contains the following Morrissey mentions:

On the way to Chorlton I pass the Southern Cemetery, inspiration for The Smiths’ ‘Cemetry Gates’, in which Morrissey recalled the ‘dreaded sunny day’ when he would walk around the memorials and slabs with his friend, the artist Linder Sterling, quoting Keats and Yeats and Oscar Wilde.

Richard also appeared on the page on which I first opened Morrissey’s autobiography, ‘and then Richard Boon said something very unhelpful’. Compared to many others, he survived Morrissey’s book unscathed.

I am surrounded by paintings of gardens, so I use this as the spur to talk about nature, chimpanzees and the psychological advantages of looking at acorns and oak trees. I overrun (with permission) and then take questions, which include ‘Do you meditate?’ No. I can’t shut this grey matter up. And ‘Who would win in a fight – Alan Moore or Morrissey?’ Alan Moore would both refuse to fight and at the same time mentally crush Morrissey, so he would be left untouched, but utterly vanquished on the canvas.

I can't see a link to NME? Just Morrissey Central?

Odd. Should bring you right to my post # 350 on the subject with various links.

Guess, I’ll just repost here …

‘Despite their continued success, tensions emerged within the band. Marr was exhausted and took a break in June 1987, which he felt was negatively perceived by his bandmates. In July, he left the group because he erroneously believed an NME article titled "Smiths to Split" was planted by Morrissey.[65] The article, written by Danny Kelly, alleged that Morrissey disliked Marr working with other musicians and that Marr and Morrissey's personal relationship had reached a breaking point. Marr contacted NME to explain that he had not left the band due to personal tensions but because he wanted wider musical scope.’

The article that was the deciding factor for Johnny Marr: he left The Smiths’

‘The guitarist actually left the group in June, temporarily, leading to an infamous NME article entitled ‘The Smiths to split’, which Marr assumed had been planted by Morrissey. Reportedly, Morrissey was becoming frustrated with the guitarist’s desire to work with other musicians, whilst Marr became fed up with the singer’s inflexibility.’

‘When the long-running British music publication NME first published their story, "Smiths to Split," it was only a rumor. Yet, it was just as much of a surprise to Marr as it was for everyone else. He even believed the story had been leaked by his then-songwriting partner, via Express. But signs of a rift between Marr and Morrissey were already showing in the musical direction that each wanted their band to pursue: Morrissey held fast to his vision of classic 60s-era pop songwriting, while Marr wanted to explore more musical avenues.’

Odd. Should bring you right to my post # 350 on the subject with various links.

Guess, I’ll just repost here …

‘Despite their continued success, tensions emerged within the band. Marr was exhausted and took a break in June 1987, which he felt was negatively perceived by his bandmates. In July, he left the group because he erroneously believed an NME article titled "Smiths to Split" was planted by Morrissey.[65] The article, written by Danny Kelly, alleged that Morrissey disliked Marr working with other musicians and that Marr and Morrissey's personal relationship had reached a breaking point. Marr contacted NME to explain that he had not left the band due to personal tensions but because he wanted wider musical scope.’

The article that was the deciding factor for Johnny Marr: he left The Smiths’

‘The guitarist actually left the group in June, temporarily, leading to an infamous NME article entitled ‘The Smiths to split’, which Marr assumed had been planted by Morrissey. Reportedly, Morrissey was becoming frustrated with the guitarist’s desire to work with other musicians, whilst Marr became fed up with the singer’s inflexibility.’

‘When the long-running British music publication NME first published their story, "Smiths to Split," it was only a rumor. Yet, it was just as much of a surprise to Marr as it was for everyone else. He even believed the story had been leaked by his then-songwriting partner, via Express. But signs of a rift between Marr and Morrissey were already showing in the musical direction that each wanted their band to pursue: Morrissey held fast to his vision of classic 60s-era pop songwriting, while Marr wanted to explore more musical avenues.’

Thanks.

I've never been able to understand why Mozza would have sabotaged something (and someone) he loved so dearly. It wasn't really a case of calling bluff either.

Back
Top Bottom